1. So... this is Alaska:
2. It's a place on Earth.
3. Like... planet Earth.
4. "Alaska" is based on the Aleut word for "Great Land."
5. Makes sense.
6. When most people think of Alaska, they think of outrageous wintry mountains.
7. They forget that it's also like a tropical resort.
8. You know, like a place you'd see on a Caribbean cruise.
9. Or, say, an Alaskan cruise.
10. In the summertime, things get all sorts of confusing.
11. Look one way, and you'll see crystal blue waters.
12. Look another, and you'll see a glacier.
13. It's a lot to process.
14. Sometimes it looks exactly how you think it would.
15. Sometimes it doesn't.
16. Occasionally, you can see traces of humanity.
17. But it mostly looks like another planet.
18. You probably know, summer days last a long time in Alaska.
19. And it's a while before anything gets dark.
20. Because the sun, like, refuses to go all the way down.
Photos by Aubree Lennon ©BuzzFeed