1. A Ripper at Rutt’s Hut in Clifton, N.J.
What is it? The infamous Ripper is not as scary as it sounds. The hot dog is deep-fried in oil instead of grilled or boiled, so the skin tears and gets super crispy.
2. The Carol C. Special at Roscoe’s in Los Angeles
What is it? Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles is an L.A. staple and has some of the best fried chicken you will ever have. Unlike traditional Belgian waffles, these beautiful creations are thin, dense, and filled with happiness and a dash of cinnamon.
3. The Memphis Mafia from VooDoo Doughnut in Portland, Ore.
What is it? The doughnut is an apple fritter topped with banana chunks, cinnamon glaze, chocolate frosting, peanut butter, peanuts, and chocolate chips. Rich? Yes. Heart-stopping? Not even close.
4. Fish and Chips at Malibu Seafood in Malibu, Calif.
What is it? Malibu Seafood has some of the best fish around, as all of the food is freshly caught in the ocean right across the street. Their fish is beer battered and served with thick cut steak fries all made fresh to order.
5. A giant-ass funnel cake at Funnelicious in Greenville, S.C.
What is it? At Funnelicious you dress a funnel cake with all the sugary sweet toppings your heart desires. You can even order a cake nearly 16 inches in diameter served in a pizza box.
6. Beignets at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans
What is it? New Orleans is known for its incredible beignets, and these prove why. These little puffs of fried dough are covered in powdered sugar and complimented by a hot mug of cafe au lait. You may want to pack some Wet Wipes before eating them.
7. Little Nookies at Torchy’s Tacos in Austin, Texas
What is it? These innocent-looking treats are actually chocolate chip cookie dough balls fresh out of the fryer, otherwise known as heaven.
8. Potato Balls at Porto’s in Los Angeles
What is it? Potato balls are everything your fry wants to be. Their silky-smooth texture will make you want to buy them by the dozen and eat them all day.
9. A Fruit Pie from The Original Fried Pie Shop in Davis, Okla.
What is it? The Original Fried Pie Shop is the premier road trip stop in the South. These pies are made fresh from scratch daily, and come in every fruity flavor you can think of.
10. Spam Fries at Maharlika in New York City
What is it? The canned meat is so much more than everything but the oink. These salty treats are dipped in tempura batter and fried to perfection. Spam’s making a comeback.
11. Deep Fried Cheese Curds at The Old Fashioned Tavern in Madison, Wis.
What is it? It’s like a mozzarella stick but better and easier to eat. DEEP-FRIED CHEESE. Is there really anything else that needs to be said?
Grease Rating: 2 out of 5 fryers
12. Bacon Mac & Cheese Pie at Dale’s Fried Pies in Knoxville, Tenn.
What is it? Dale’s Fried Pies are pockets of gooey goodness sold out of a tiny stand in Knoxville. Boasting savory and sweet, the mac and cheese pie is the perfect crispy snack for summer days.
13. Nutella Rice Ball from Arancini Bros in Brooklyn, N.Y.
What is it? Arancini Bros. is known for its outrageously good rice balls, but the Nutella-filled delicacies feel like a nice warm hug on a cold winter’s night.
Grease Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5 fryers
14. Deep Fried Oreos at Cafeteria in New York City
What is it? The squeaky-clean restaurant makes you feel fancy while you end your meal with decadent deep-fried Oreos with mint chip ice cream and a coffee shake shot.
Grease Rating: 3 out of 5 fryers
Originally this post featured an incorrect exterior photo of the restaurant. It has since been changed. The person responsible has been fryerd.
15. A Milky Bun at Afters Ice Cream in Fountain Valley, Calif.
What is it? Nothing is better on a hot day than a doughnut filled with ice cream. However, these aren’t just vanilla and chocolate. Their flavors range from Acai Blueberry Sorbet to Cookie Butter and Strawberry Cookie Crunch. You also get to put all the toppings you’d like, then stuff it all into a fresh doughnut.
16. Crispy Pata from Ruby’s Fast Food in Chicago, Ill.
What is it? This Filipino restaurant slowly deep fries a pork leg to a beautiful crispy brown. Because of how long it takes to prepare and cook the dish, you have to order it a day ahead of time, and it’s worth the wait.
17. Anything at Sandwich U in Morgantown, W.Va.
What is it? Imagine choosing your favorite things from a fried food buffet, placing them on a bun, and calling it a sandwich. For example, the restaraunt boasts the Fat Bastard: gyro meat, chicken fingers, two mozzarella sticks, and tzatziki sauce. It’s a drunk person’s paradise.
18. The Bratwurst Lollipop at the Mallard’s Concession Stand in Madison, Wis.
What is it? One of the Mallard’s crazier creations, a brat patty is rolled in funnel cake batter then deep fried, then delicately placed on a stick.
19. Chicken Fried Bacon at Sodolaks in Snook, Texas
What is it? Bacon that’s been dipped in batter and deep fried. End of story. Texas forever.
20. The Monte Cristo at Café Orleans in Disneyland
What is it? If you’re ever hungry and on a budget at Disneyland, this deep fried ham and cheese sandwich will keep you full all damn day. Don’t forget the powdered sugar.
Grease Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5 fryers
22. Deep-Fried Breakfast On-a-Stick at the Minnesota State Fair
What is it? It’s the Monte Cristo on steroids. The new addition to the fair is “American and Swiss cheeses, a sausage patty, one egg and Canadian bacon all sandwiched between two pancakes, then dipped in a light, sweet batter, and deep-fried on-a-stick.” You’re welcome.
23. The Krispy Kreme Triple Cheeseburger at the San Diego Fair
What is it? When it comes to fair food, this triple cheeseburger with Krispy Kreme buns has to take the cake. Paula Deen’s got nothing on this guy.
Grease Rating: 5 out of 5 fryers
24. The Hot Pocket Burger at PYT in Philadelphia
What is it? A cheeseburger that uses deep-fried Hot Pockets as buns, aka a heart attack on a plate. PYT is known for its insane burgers like the chicken bacon Eggo sliders and the fried chicken and beer burger.
Grease Rating: ∞ out of 5 fryers
- A Pro-Trump site is showing that with a big Facebook page and catchy headlines, you can have almost zero content and still make money.
- North Korea has arrested a third American citizen amid a dramatic escalation in tensions with the United States.
- Politics in France were redrawn Sunday as pro-EU Macron and far-right Le Pen advanced to a runoff in the country's presidential election 🇫🇷
- Tim Hortons, Canada's biggest coffee chain, is opening its first UK store next month ahead of a rollout across the country 🍩