1. One-third of all cancers in Australia are preventable.
2. And the most effective way of beating cancer? Preventing it in the first place.
3. Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world.
4. Aboriginal Australians are more likely to die from cancer than non-Aboriginal Australians.
5. Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer affecting Aussie women.
6. Women living in rural NSW are at a bigger risk of dying from breast cancer than those living in Sydney.
7. Smoking poses the biggest risk factor for preventable cancer.
8. Most people will recover from the harmful effects of smoking if they quit before the age of 35.
9. Eating the right amount of fruit and veg is one of the most important things people can do to reduce their risk of cancer.
10. Aussie men have a higher risk of dying from preventable cancers (that affect both sexes) than women do.
11. BUT some research suggests masturbating could reduce the risk of prostate cancer. So that's good news?!
12. There are possible links between sitting for long periods and an increased risk of some cancers.
13. However, there's no solid evidence to suggest mobile phones cause cancer.
14. But no matter what the circumstance, no one should face cancer alone.
All facts provided by Cancer Council NSW.