27 Multifunctional Things For Anyone Who Lives In A Studio Apartment
Just because it's a box doesn't mean it has to look like one.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A room divider with shelves so you can section off your space without sacrificing on storage. Reviewers say it's helped them to create more of a workspace area in their home.
Promising review: "Love this!!! Covers up my cat litter pans and defines the space in my large studio rental. Super easy to set up out of the box. Thank you!" —Sharon
"This item is beautiful and comes fully assembled except for slide in shelves. I purchased this for a Shore condo as a room divider to camouflage the kitchen and it’s perfect." —V.Ramoni
Get it from Amazon for $142.99.
2. A rolling baker's rack ideal for homes with little to no counter space. You can use this cart as storage and an extra surface for food prep when cooking. It even comes with a cutting board!
Promising review: "This thing is perfect, OK? I've got a studio apartment and don't really have a lot of room to work with. I had absolutely NO counter space so this baking rack saved my life. I've got more room for groceries and plenty of prep space for getting food ready. You can fit a coffee pot, some containers of spices, and still have the vast majority of the space left over for prep space. The storage underneath is adjustable, so you can make the space between the lower and highest level larger or smaller. You easily could put a microwave on the bottom shelves and store other larger kitchen appliances." —Homeboy Gotcha
Get it from Amazon for $85.82 (four designs available).
3. A door-hanging ironing board that can double as a place to fold your clothes too.
Promising review: "I have a studio apartment and it fits on shelving! I love it." —Connie Yancey
"Living in a one-bedroom apartment with limited space this is a must-have. No tools required and doesn't need screws or anything. Latches for door width are a bit big so it does kind of move around a bit making small bumping noises, but this door I have is on the smaller side. Regardless, that could easily be corrected on my end by placing some foam or cloth in the extra space. This was definitely worth the buy. Now I can iron my slacks before work to make the best impression." —Rhiannon Allen
Get it from Amazon for $33.81.
4. A set of Nessie gadgets complete with a colander spoon, tea infuser, and ladle so you can stir, strain, and make tea in a modern, yet prehistoric way.
Set includes: colander spoon, tea Infuser, ladle
Promising review: "Not only is the Nessie family functional for the kitchen, it's also just a great piece of art! I love walking into my kitchen and seeing the Nessies all snug as a bug together sitting on my countertop, waiting for their next dip into loch stew or loch tea. And let's just talk about how adorable it is to see in your teacup or pot! Seriously, just buy these! They are pure joy!!" —Ella Andrews
Get them from Amazon for $39.
5. An industrial-style hanging cocktail bar in case your tiny home doesn't have room for your love of mixology. It has a folding shelf that turns into a mixing station and gives you room to store your alcohol without sacrificing valuable kitchen space. Who knew your pad could fit a lil' bar?
Promising Review: "We have a small studio apartment downtown and this was the perfect solution for a bar area that we always wanted despite not having the space. Everyone that comes over always comments on how cool and different it is — definitely a conversation piece. Well-made and looks impressive." —Cara
Get it from Uncommon Goods for $130.
6. A pack of USB bed lifts to elevate your bed, futon, or coffee table, giving you the space you need to slide storage underneath and now you have an extra outlet in an ideal location for charging your phone or computer.
Promising Review: "I bought these risers to make more space in my tiny bedroom. The only place I can put my bed, blocks one of the two outlets I have. Thanks to these risers I now have easy access to outlets, plus USB charging stations, and more storage capacity under my tiny bed. They are 7.5 inches tall. If you already have a tall bed, like I do, keep that in mind. It isn't a problem but if you're short like me you might want a step stool. I was worried about the sturdiness and stability, however, there is no need for concern! Between the two of us, my boyfriend and I about about 400 pounds. This bed holds up to us, our 40-pound son jumping on it, and our 95-pound dog. The weight limit for the product is even higher than that, from what I remember." —Deanna M Vedvik
Get a set of four from Amazon for $22.29.
7. A shower curtain with pockets just begging to be used as either a shower liner or a shower curtain, that can also hold all of your shower and bathroom essentials. Now you won't have to turn into a circus act trying to juggle your shampoo, conditioner, and face wash without them falling.
Plus, it can be used as both a shower curtain (facing out) or a shower liner (facing in).
Promising review: "I ordered this, set it up, and immediately fell in love. I live in a cramped little apartment I share with several other girls. There's almost no space for any of my personal bath stuff, and I also knock over a lot of my roommates' stuff in the process of getting in. I let the girls know they were free to put their stuff in too, and about a week or so later everyone had migrated their stuff in the curtain! It holds well, keeps items dry, and clears space in your shower so it feels a little calmer and more soothing. I honestly love this thing, and it's held up pretty well. I've had it a couple of months so far, and I foresee this lasting for a good amount of time." —g. castro
Get it from Amazon for $19.80.
8. A sleek toilet paper holder featuring a handy basket you can use to store your phone, a book, wet wipes, or any other items you like to keep in your ~gotta drop some kids off at the pool~ toolkit.
Mounting hardware included.
Promising review: "I used to have to put my stuff on the tile floor, but no more. This not only fits my iPhone, but it also fits my iPad Pro 10 1/2-inch standing up diagonally! It’s very strongly mounted to the wall with the two screws. I also love that it’s so easy to just slide the roll onto the hanger without the hassle of a spring-loaded spindle. Great product!" —Doby
Get it from Amazon for $9+ (available in four colors).
9. Or, a toilet paper stocker perfect for anyone who doesn't want to sacrifice aesthetic and also wants to be efficient. This holder has extra space for multiple rolls so you don't find yourself in a less than ideal situation. It also leaves you with plenty of room to add your must-haves on top.
Promising review: "I really love it. Living in a shoebox in NY, I constantly look for storage solutions. This design is incredible. It takes up so little footprint and fits perfectly between the toilet bowl and the wall, and is very functional. I hate having to go to the deli store to get a couple of rolls of toilet paper at a time. Now I can get 12 rolls at a time, though if you get the larger rolls, they won't come through the hole on the bottom. You will have to retrieve the larger rolls by removing the top, which is not a big deal. I put a wonderful Olavie diffuser and body scrub on the top, and it looks really nice. It's a must-have for any small apartment living!" —Ken H
Get it from Amazon for $55.99.
10. An adjustable pet hair broom with rubber bristles for scrapping up all of that trapped fur in your carpet. It also has a built-in squeegee for liquid spills or cleaning glass.
Promising review: "I love this damn thing. I use the squeegee side daily on a sealed concrete floor to pick up dog hair. Works like a champ, and even does a great job on edges. So easy, the hubby voluntarily sweeps with it every day, sometimes twice. I also got him an EyeVac to instantly suck all the hair and dirt up without him having to go hunt a dustpan and chase the dustpan debris line across the floor." —PA Lady
Get it from Amazon for $12.98.
Check out my coworker's FURemover Evrilholder broom review for more deets and some very satisfying hair removal photos!
11. A multipurpose drying rack perfect for homes with little to no counter space. This drying rack can also be used for additional counter space when it's not drying dishes or as a trivet mat. It rolls up small enough to store in a drawer, too.
Promising review: "How did I ever get along without this thing? We were looking for a way to dry dishes without taking up counter space with a dedicated drying rack. I decided to give this little contraption a try, and boy, am I glad I did. It is incredibly versatile and is a wonderful addition to our kitchen. So far I have used it for drying large items over the sink, filling a pot when the sink was already full, and as a counter trivet for a hot pan, and it performs beautifully in all these roles. The metal rods are strong and sturdy enough to hold heavy items, long enough to span our sink from multiple angles, and best of all, it rolls up for easy storage when not in use. All around a great kitchen tool, and I'll never be without one again." —T. Eicher
Get it from Amazon for $24.98+ (available in three sizes).
12. A standing exercise workstation because you're a multitasker so it only makes sense that you have a workspace that allows you to check emails and get in your daily activity. And it has wheels so you can move it from room to room, or in the case of studio, from one wall to the other.
Promising review: "The FlexiSpot bike desk might be the most rewarding purchase I have ever made — personally and professionally. Within a week, it paid for itself many times over through my increased productivity. Previously, I lost critical work time to the stationary bike at the gym where I was shackled by the limitations of the iPad. By allowing me to pedal and work at my computer simultaneously, the FlexiSpot freed me from those constraints and extended every workday by hours. Meanwhile, it improved my personal health and overall state of mind. Delightfully in front of my apartment window, I can now work out for prolonged durations, lost in my work, and not even realize I'm exercising." —William N.
Get it from Amazon for $399.99+ (available in two colors).
13. An Instant Pot Duo, a cult favorite, that will do just about anything you want it to. It's a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sauté pan, yogurt maker, and food warmer all rolled into one nifty appliance.
Check out BuzzFeed's full Instant Pot review.
Promising review: "There are so many people who say they can't cook, but I swear I'm on a whole new level of not being able to cook. This little appliance helps expand our menu and I have learned to do so much with it. I love how easy it is and how I throw everything in and it comes out done. No stirring and not many messy dishes. I still don't love it for meats, but I think that's just a matter of needing to experiment more with them. I seriously can't believe how many foods can be cooked in here! I found a recipe for a mac 'n' cheese that everyone loves. It's only five ingredients and only requires washing a cheese grater and the pot, and it only takes 20 minutes. Before this I had never once made spaghetti with meat sauce. Now I do it all the time. Again, I only have ONE thing to clean afterward. If I tried doing with without the Instant Pot, I would have a pan for the meat, pot for the pasta, and the strainer. It only takes about 20 minutes start to finish. Since I usually don't have to do many dishes with the Instant Pot, I tend to enjoy experimenting. My family is constantly surprised at how much this has changed how we eat. I love that when we have a last minute neighborhood get-together and I can whip up a pasta dish and veggie real quick." —Aundrea
Get it from Amazon for $69.99+ (available in three sizes).
14. A modern floor lamp designed with built-in shelving and charging ports. Could this BE any more perfect?
Promising review: "I live in a small studio apartment, so I needed a lamp that was multifunctional. This does the trick!" —Victoria
"I absolutely adore this lamp! It gives me more space to put my things, and it looks very modern and classy. The ports are very convenient since I can use them to charge my phone and power my Echo Dot. I love love love this lamp! I replaced the bulb with a smart bulb that I connected to Alexa. Get this lamp!" —Khalysee
Get it from Amazon for $69.99 (available in four colors).
15. The Mirror — a splurgeworthy item for sure, but reviewers say it's totally worth it. What might look like an ordinary mirror to check out your look before you head out the door, is also a home gym with live and pre-recorded classes, personal training, and 50+ different genres. Who said you can't fit a gym in a studio apartment?
Promising review: "The Mirror is incredible! You can take any class, at any time, for as long or short as you like. If you are on the fence about buying one, don't be. You will love this piece of workout equipment. The mirror sits in any room unnoticed when turned off, and does not take up any space. A great investment!!!" —sara
Get it from Mirror for $1,495 (monthly payment plan available).
16. A wall-mounted toothbrush holder and dispenser made for functionality so that you can save even more space around your sink, and hopefully avoid toothpaste spills too.
This game changer includes a toothbrush dispenser (which means less product waste!), four cups and holders, and a place to store your toothbrushes!
Promising review: "I love this item! I saw it originally on TikTok and thought it would be perfect for our bathroom! We have one bathroom upstairs and five people who use it. This cleared up so much counter space for us! There are ventilation holes where the cups go to help make sure they dry properly. The toothpaste dispenser has really been working to get every last drop out of the tube. Would definitely recommend for a family or kids bathroom. There is also a little storage compartment behind the toothpaste that is great for extra brushes, Q-tips, or flossers." —Sariyah J
Get it from Amazon for $20.94+ (available in three colors).
17. A tiered magnetic rack reviewers say can be used as extra storage in more rooms than just the kitchen. Some use it to hold their paper towels while doubling as a spice rack and others use it to hold their garden tools and duct tape. The possibilities are endless.
Promising review: "This is a great space saver for my studio apartment. The magnet is super strong — the shelf hasn't budged an inch. I am very happy with this purchase and would recommend it." —Darla Powell
"Such a space saver, especially for studios. They come with hooks for your towels and you can install them wherever you want. The paper towel holder is a life saver. 10/10 product!" —Tiffany
Get it from Amazon for $35.99 (available in two colors).
18. An under-desk mount you can use to keep your devices organized and charged. It has three USB ports, two arms to hold over-the-ear headphones or a smartwatch, slots for cords and earbuds, and three wire clips.
Promising review: "I love this thing. I didn't use any screws to secure it under my desk, only the adhesive tape, and I doubt I could rip it off if I wanted to. The headphone mount on the side of my desk is nice, but the three powered USB ports in the front have been more useful than I expected; I actually bought a short 6-inch USB-C cable because it's so nice to have my phone charging at the corner of my desk connected to this. Three USB ports within arm's reach is so, so much better than having to reach to your computer or to a hub on your desk. I love it; it's something I grabbed on a whim during one of those 'I wonder what I can buy for my gaming setup' Amazon searching sessions we've all had, and ended up loving it far more than I'd expected." —Nino
Get it from Amazon for $24.99 (available in three colors).
19. A cutting board and prep station complete with measuring strips, a built-in garlic grater, and multifunctional trays that act as an herb stripper, strainer, and grater. Not to mention, top-rack dishwasher safe. So, why is this not in your kitchen already?
Promising review: "Everyone needs one of these. So easy to pull out, cut anything, measure anything, grate/shred anything, and even squeeze juices. I love all the different little containers to be able to not only store but do multiple things at once without food touching. This has been a game changer in my kitchen." —Halls1026
20. Or, a collapsible cutting board and strainer hybrid that you can slide over your sink. Your sink cabinet will thank you for not having to store a bulky colander and cutting board. And, now you have more counter space too.
The 2.5 quart strainer is also removable so you can detach it as needed!
Promising Review: "This is one of my favorite things I have purchased for our tiny apartment! It's a pretty good size cutting board and I can see it fitting over most sinks. I LOVE the bowl inside that can let wet ingredients drain liquid directly into the sink. It's seriously SO nice to have this when you're limited on counter space!" —Atara
Get it from Amazon for $19.99+ (available in two colors).
21. An 11-in-1 tool featuring standard and needle nose pliers, a knife, a saw, a wire cutter, slotted and Phillips screwdrivers, a bottle opener, a can opener, a file, and a rope cutter. Need I go on?
It also comes with a carrying case with a belt loop on the back!
Promising review: "This multitool is a must-have tool for everyone. I will be keeping this in my car for daily or emergency use. This tool is perfect. I really like the functionality of the pliers, and it is spring loaded so it auto opens for easy use. There are a couple of knives (one is serrated), a bottle opener, a can opener, screw drivers, a nail file, and more. The handle is comfortable in hand. My only complaint is the carrying case; the Velcro is not very good and it keeps opening. I still recommend this if you are looking for a budget multitool." —Big Dawgs Fam
Get it from Amazon for $13.62 (available in three colors).
22. An 8-in-1 kitchen gadget capable of not only looking good but also being incredibly useful. Looking to grate cheese? Need to juice an orange? Want to separate eggs? This gadget can do it all while taking up minimal space.
Set includes: funnel, juicer, grater, egg cracker, shredder, can opener, egg separator, and measuring cup
Promising review: "It's a convenient way of storing a ton of kitchen tools I needed, and for only $10! I would say it's more than worth it if you don't have a majority of the tools, which I didn't, because I'm in college." —Rebecca
Get it from Amazon for $10.99.
23. A slim LED alarm clock so you can see what time it is in big bold colors to quickly calculate how much time you have to catch a few more Zzz's before work. It comes with two USB ports for charging devices too. And, it's really chic.
Promising review: "Let’s be honest. There are tons and I mean tons of clock options out there, but the reality is that majority of them are hideous. I wanted a clock that was both functional and looks great. This product is exactly that. I find the second dim level perfect. Bright enough without being blinding. Having 12-hour and 24-hour options is great. The USBs on the side make charging small devices a breeze. Guests are always complimenting the clock and asking where I got it. Highly recommend!" —Catherine
Get it from Amazon for $22.95+ (available in 12 colors).
24. A six-outlet extender that gives you plenty of room to charge all of your devices. Some studios either lack adequate outlets or they are positioned in weird locations. Now you can maximize your favorite wall outlet with two USB ports, a built-in night-light, and six outlets.
Promising review: "So happy that I bought this beautiful wall charger. It looks much more expensive than what I have paid. The six outlets are so nicely positioned that I can use all of them at the same time. Two USB outputs are ideal for charging our phones. Highly recommend!" —Elaine
Get it from Amazon for $19.97+ (available in two styles).