New York, May 9, 2013 – BuzzFeed announced today it will expand its popular newsmaker series into a special edition focusing on the important policy and political conversations around immigration reform. On May 14, BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith will interview some of the most interesting newsmakers and thought leaders focusing on immigration in Washington, D.C.
6:30 - 7:15pm
Ben Smith will moderate discussions between the following:
• Mario Lopez, President, Hispanic Leadership Fund
• Clarissa Martinez, Director of Immigration & National Campaigns, National Council of La Raza
• Derrick Morgan, VP of Domestic & Economic Policy, Heritage Foundation
• Alex Nowrasteh, Immigration Policy Analyst, Cato Institute
Ben Smith will interview the following:
• Rep. Joaquin Castro (D - TX)
• Luis G. Fortuño, Former Republican Governor of Puerto Rico
“How Can The Internet Advance The Immigration Conversation?”
Journalist, filmmaker and Founder of Define American Jose Antonio Vargas will prompt and moderate an online discussion around immigration during the event and will report back to Ben Smith with findings and insights.
“Immigration is at the center of this year’s policy conversation and we are excited to expand the BuzzFeed Brews series to be a part of it. We expect that our readers and the people following this debate on Twitter and other social platforms, will have both questions and answers for policymakers, and we’re eager to facilitate this important conversation,” said Smith.
The BuzzFeed Brews Special Edition: Immigration Summit is sponsored by The Charles Koch Institute.
“The Charles Koch Institute believes that advancing progress in our communities and the world around us begins by exchanging knowledge and ideas,” said Richard Fink, Director of the Charles Koch Institute. “The importance and timeliness of the immigration debate make the need for such thoughtful dialogue imperative. Sponsoring a productive dialogue on this issue is a natural extension of our commitment to advance a free and prosperous society.”
The event will take place from 6:00 - 8:30pm on May 14, 2013 at The Liaison Hotel Capitol Hill. Drinks and food will be served throughout the event.
Media are asked to RSVP at buzzfeedbrewsimmigrationsummit.splashthat.com. If you are a photographer or TV network looking to send a camera, please email email@example.com. Space and seating is limited so please RSVP as soon as possible to ensure access.
BuzzFeed, Senior Press Director
BuzzFeed is the leading media company for the social age, intensely focused on delivering high-quality original reporting, insight, and viral content across a rapidly expanding array of subject areas. Our technology powers the social distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content of the moment. Our site is rapidly growing and reaches more than 40 million monthly unique visitors. Jonah Peretti, founder & CEO of BuzzFeed, previously co-founded the Huffington Post. Ben Smith is its Editor-in-chief, Jon Steinberg is its President & COO and Kenneth Lerer is the Executive Chairman.
- Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and adviser, has volunteered to testify in the Senate about his multiple meetings with the Russian ambassador.
- Attorney General Sessions threatened to block money to so-called sanctuary cities that don't help deport undocumented immigrants with criminal records.
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill, but it took only two days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- After stopping three girls from boarding a plane for wearing leggings, United Airlines is getting mocked by everyone from Chrissy Teigen to Delta ✈️ 👀