What We Know So Far:
- Khalid Masood, 52, originally from Kent, was named as the Westminster attacker by the Metropolitan police. He was born Adrian Russell Ajao, the Met police said on Friday morning. Other aliases he is believed to have used include the name Adrian Elms.
- He had no prior terrorism offence convictions, although he had been previously investigated by security services as a “peripheral figure”. Police released a picture of him on Friday.
- At least five people died — including a police officer and Masood — and 31 others required hospital treatment.
- Eleven arrests were made after several raids across the country, the Met confirmed. Everyone arrested has now been released with no further action.
- Keith Palmer, a 48-year-old unarmed officer, was stabbed before Masood was shot by police. A government minister administered CPR, but Palmer ultimately died.
- Aysha Frade, a 43-year-old teacher and mother of two, was one of the civilians killed. Kurt Cochran, an American citizen, was named as among the dead. Leslie Rhodes, 75, from south London, was later named as the fourth victim.
- The attack began when a vehicle driving over Westminster Bridge rammed into several pedestrians before crashing into railings at the Palace of Westminster. Masood, armed with a knife, continued the attack.
- ISIS claimed responsibility through its news agency, calling the assailant – who it did not name – its “soldier”.
Map Shows Locations Of Incidents In Westminster Attack
All people arrested in connection with the Westminster terror attack have now been released
All those arrested in connection with the terrorist attack in Westminster have now been released and police will take no further action.
A 30-year-old man arrested on March 26 in Birmingham on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts and detained under the Terrorism Act was released on Sunday, Met police said in a statement.
Eleven other people who were previously arrested in connection with the investigation have also been released with no further action.
The inquest into the death of Khalid Masood was adjourned on Thursday and a pre-inquest review has been set by the coroner for May 19.
London attacker killed by single gunshot to chest, coroner says
The man who mowed down pedestrians on Westminster Bridge before fatally attacking a police officer outside parliament was killed by a single gunshot to the chest, coroner’s officials said.
In all, Khalid Masood killed four people and injured more than 30 others in the March 22 attack before he was shot dead. One other person remains hospitalized in critical condition.
Masood’s cause of death was revealed Thursday in Westminster coroner’s court, the Associated Press reported.
Wife of Khalid Masood expresses her sorrow for those killed
Rohey Hydara, wife of the man who attacked parliament last week, gave a statement through police in which she expressed her “sadness” for those who had lost their lives.
“I express my condolences to the families of the victims that have died and wish a speedy recovery to all the injured,” the BBC reported her as saying.
Hydara, believed to be Masood’s second wife, also asked for privacy for “our family, especially the children, at this difficult time”.
It comes following the mother of Masood, who was born Adrian Elms, stating she was “shocked” and “deeply saddened” by the actions of her son.
Masood, 52, drove a car across Parliament Bridge, injuring scores of people, before crashing the vehicle into railings at the side of the houses of parliament. He then assaulted police officer Keith Palmer, who later died of his injuries, before being shot dead by officers on the scene.
Mother of London attacker says she is “deeply shocked” by his actions
The mother of the man who carried out the deadly attack in London says she is “deeply shocked, saddened, and numbed” by his actions.
In a statement issued Monday, Janet Ajao said she in no way condoned the actions of her son Khalid Masood, who was shot dead by police during the attack, which killed four people:
I am so deeply shocked, saddened and numbed by the actions my son has taken that have killed and injured innocent people in Westminster.
Since discovering that it was my son that was responsible I have shed many tears for the people caught up in this horrendous incident.
I wish to make it absolutely clear, so there can be no doubt, I do not condone his actions nor support the beliefs he held that led to him committing this atrocity.
I wish to thank my friends, family and community from the bottom of my heart for the love and support given to us.
No evidence Masood had any direct connections to ISIS or al-Qaeda, Met police say
More information has emerged about the actions of the man who killed four people – including a police officer – outside the houses of parliament before being shot dead.
Speaking on Monday, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, senior national coordinator for UK counterterrorism policing, said there was “no evidence” the man who took the name Khalid Masood in 2005, having been born Adrian Elms, had discussed his intentions prior to the assault.
“His attack method appears to be based on low sophistication, low-tech, low-cost techniques copied from other attacks, and echo the rhetoric of IS leaders in terms of methodology and attacking police and civilians, but at this stage I have no evidence he discussed this with others.”
Basu continued that while there were no direct connections to ISIS or al-Qaeda, “there is clearly an interest in jihad”.
He also said there was “no evidence” Masood had been radicalised in prison, adding that “this is pure speculation at this time”.
—Rose Troup Buchanan
A 30-year-old man has been arrested in Birmingham in connection with Wednesday’s attack in Westminster, it was announced on Sunday night.
The Metropolitan police said the man was arrested on Sunday at an address in the city on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts. One other man, aged 58, remains in custody, while a 32-year-old woman has been bailed until later this month.
Meanwhile, UK home secretary Amber Rudd has said it is “completely unacceptable” that messages Khalid Masood may have sent on WhatsApp before launching his deadly attack remain encrypted.
“There should be no place for terrorists to hide,” Rudd said on BBC1’s The Andrew Marr Show. “We need to make sure that organisations like WhatsApp, and there are plenty of others like that, don’t provide a secret place for terrorists to communicate with each other.”
Police: Khalid Masood acted alone
The Metropolitan police have said they believe Westminster attacker Khalid Masood acted alone, and warned that we may never know why he acted as he did.
Masood was shot by police 82 seconds after his murderous attack began and later died, and while 11 arrests were made in the days after the attack, only one man remains in custody and one woman is out on bail.
“We still believe that Masood acted alone on the day and there is no information or intelligence to suggest there are further attacks planned,” said deputy assistant commissioner Neil Basu, the senior national coordinator for counterterrorism policing.
“Even if he acted alone in the preparation we need to establish with absolute clarity why he did these unspeakable acts to bring reassurance to Londoners, and to provide answers and closure for the families of those killed and the victims and survivors of this atrocity.”
But Basu added: “We must all accept that there is a possibility we will never understand why he did this. That understanding may have died with him.
“Nevertheless, we are determined to understand if Masood was a lone actor inspired by terrorist propaganda or if others have encouraged, supported or directed him. If the latter proves to be the case, they will face justice.”
Appealing for members of the public to help the investigation into the killings, Basu said: “If you knew Khalid Masood and had spoken to him in the months, weeks or days leading up to this attack please come forward.”
Family of murdered PC “overwhelmed” by support
The family of slain police officer Keith Palmer have said they are “overwhelmed by the love and support” they have received since the 48-year-old was killed.
“Most especially,” a statement released through the Metropolitan police added, “the outpouring of love and respect for our Keith.”
The statement said: “We want to thank everyone who has reached out to us over the past few days for their kindness and generosity. The police have been a constant, unwavering support at this very difficult time. It has made us realise what a caring, strong and supportive family Keith was part of during his career with the police. We can’t thank them enough.
“We would also like to express our gratitude to the people who were with Keith in his last moments and who were working that day. There was nothing more you could have done.
“You did your best and we are just grateful he was not alone. We care about him being remembered for his selfless bravery and loving nature. We miss him so much, but we are also incredibly proud of Keith.”
Meanwhile Foreign Office minister Tobias Ellwood, who gave first aid to Palmer after the officer had been stabbed by Westminster attacker Khalid Masood, has said he is “heartbroken” he could not save him.
“I am heartbroken that I could not do more for PC Keith Palmer who gave his life in holding the line against terrorism and defending democracy. I shall be writing to the family of PC Palmer to offer my sincere condolences,” he said in a statement.
“I’m deeply humbled and overwhelmed by the messages of support, especially from the policing fraternity, which I now realise is as close knit as the military’s in supporting its own.
“I played only a small part that day, doing what I was taught to do, and am honoured to have been invited to join the Privy Council afterwards.
“It is right that we concentrate our thoughts on the victims as we stand side by side to protect all that we hold dear, including our precious values and way of life which will always prevail.”
Police say deadly Westminster attack lasted 82 seconds
The deadly Westminster attack that left four people dead Wednesday began and was over within 82 seconds, police said Saturday.
Police released a timeline of the bloody attack, revealing that in just over a minute Khalid Masood killed three civilians and one police officer, and injured 31 other people.
The attack began Wednesday at 2:40 p.m. when Masood drove his car over the Westminster Bridge and then veered on to the footpath.
Masood drove through the pedestrian walkway for 30 seconds before crashing into a perimeter fence of the Palace of Westminster, police said.
Exactly 21 seconds after the crash, the first call to police was made.
Masood then got out of his car and was shot by an officer inside the Palace of Westminster 31 seconds after that call was made.
Police said their investigation is still continuing, and asked for people who knew and spoke with Masood in the previous weeks and months to contact authorities.
“We must all accept that there is a possibility we will never understand why he did this,” Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said in a statement. “That understanding may have died with him.”
Authorities believe he acted alone.
“Whilst the attack lasted only 82 seconds it will remain in the memories of many forever,” Basu said.
Only one person remains in custody over Wednesday’s attack
On Saturday evening police revealed that one of the two people still in custody in connection with the attack in Westminster had been released.
The 27-year-old man arrested late on Thursday in Birmingham was told he would face no further action. A 39-year-old woman arrested in east London and bailed until the end of this month has also been released with no further action.
Seven other people have also been released and one woman remains out on bail, meaning only one person remains in custody over Khalid Masood’s attack – a 58-year-old man who was arrested on Thursday morning at an address in Birmingham, who is being detained under anti-terror laws.
“Not in Our Name” rally held in Birmingham
Watch live footage as Muslims from the West Midlands hold a rally against terrorism after this week’s attack in Westminster.
Two men still in custody in connection with attack
Seven of the 11 people arrested by police investigating Khalid Masood’s attack this week have now been released with no further action, it was announced last night.
As well as the six people released from custody last night, a 35-year-old man has been released with no further police action, and a 32-year-old woman has been bailed until the end of the month. Both were arrested in Manchester.
Meanwhile, two men remain in custody: a 58-year-old man arrested in Birmingham on Thursday morning, and a 28-year-old man arrested later in the day at a separate address in the city. They are being detained under the Terrorism Act 2000.
One other woman remains on police bail: a 39-year-old arrested at an address in east London on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts. She is due to return to police until a date later this month.
Six people arrested in London attack investigation are released
Authorities on Friday released six people who were arrested as part of the ongoing investigation into the attack in London.
Among those released were a 21-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man who were arrested at one address, as well as a 26-year-old woman and three men aged 28, 27, and 26, who were taken into custody at separate locations in Birmingham, the Metropolitan police announced.
A 39-year-old woman arrested in east London on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts was also released on bail until a later date in March.
Four others arrested in Birmingham and Manchester on suspicion of preparing terrorist acts remain in custody as part of a sweep of 21 locations. While police believe Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old British man with a history of violent crimes, carried out the attack on Westminster Bridge and outside parliament alone, they are investigating what help he may have received and whether he had any accomplices.
Khalid Masood – born Adrian Elms – has been named as the man who killed four people and injured 50 others in an attack on Westminster on Wednesday. Here’s everything we know about him.
Muslim leaders in Birmingham are holding emergency meetings across the city
There are concerns of a ramped up anti-Muslim backlash that communities may face following the London terror attack.
Mahmooda Qureshi from Hope Not Hate, an anti-racism campaign group, told BuzzFeed News a rally was being organised in Birmingham city centre on Saturday, and said: “It’s to distance ourselves and that it has got nothing to do with Islam and to state: not in our name.”
A number of other vigils and rallies were being circulated via WhatsApp, urging people to turn up:
Imams from major Birmingham mosques read sermons addressing the attacks, and called for “unity”.
At a packed Friday prayers with Muslims from all backgrounds, Sheikh Abdur Raheem McCarthy said in a sermon delivered in English that Muslims were “blessed” in the UK as they have freedom of faith. “We also need to increase our relationship with the local community. And instead of making this divide us, let it bring us closer together and let us stand in solidarity against that which is wrong.”
After prayers, the imam read out a statement from the Metropolitan police reassuring the communities there would be extra patrols on the streets, and that the attack was by “a terrorist and someone not of the faith”.
Muhammad Afzal, the chairman of Birmingham Central Mosque, called for calm and said in a statement: “We request all communities for the unity and calm.”
He added: “We call upon those that may have even a shred of sympathy for the like-minded terrorists to shake their conscience and realise that such acts are the work of evil and not the work of God-fearing people.”