Massive Manhunt Underway In Paris For Gunmen Who Killed 12 At Charlie Hebdo

Twelve died in the attack — including four of the nation’s most famous cartoonists — and 11 are injured in the attack by at least two gunmen. BuzzFeed News reporter Anais Bordages is reporting in Paris. WARNING: Some of the images and videos below are graphic.

Persons hold placards which read “I am Charlie” to pay tribute during a gathering in Strasbourg, Jan, 7. REUTERS/Vincent Kessler

What We Know So Far

  • A terrorist attack on the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo has left 12 dead — including four of France’s most famous cartoonists — and 11 wounded.
  • Two of three suspected assailants remained at large overnight, although reports suggest they were spotted on Thursday morning in Aisne, northern France.
  • French police released photos of two suspects, brothers Said Kouachi, 32, and Cherif Kouachi, 34, who are both French nationals. Kouachi’s ID has been recovered from the car the suspects left.
  • Two people were shot in a gun attack in southern Paris on Thursday morning. One of them, a policewoman, died. It is not clear if the attack was related to the Charlie Hebdo massacre, and the suspect is still at large.
  • Charlie Hebdo has a history of satirizing many religions, including Islam. In 2011, it was firebombed after running a cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammed.
  • The assailants shouted “Allahu akbar” while storming the newspaper’s offices. They yelled that they were avenging the prophet during the attack.
  • President François Hollande called the attack “an exceptional act of barbarism.”


A minute’s silence has been held across France in memory of the victims of yesterday’s attack.

Imelda Flattery/Vine

The silence was observed at Agence France-Presse’s Paris offices.

And on the Paris metro.

At the Assemblee Nationale.

The next edition of Charlie Hebdo will come out next week, despite yesterday’s attack, AFP said, citing the publication’s editorialist.

#BREAKING Paris newspaper Charlie Hebdo will come out next week, despite bloodbath: editorialist

— Agence France-Presse (@AFP)

Sources have told AFP that the two brothers suspected of conducting the Charlie Hebdo attack were located in Aisne, northern France, on Thursday morning. They are armed.

Charlie Hebdo: les deux suspects localisés dans l'Aisne jeudi matin et armés (sources proches) #AFP

— Agence France-Presse (@afpfr)

French media reporting owner of petrol station saw 2 men wearing masks in car with guns & rocket launcher #CharlieHebdo

— lyse doucet (@bbclysedoucet)

Aisne is shown in relation to Paris on this map, shaded light pink.

Google Maps

AP is reporting that a police union official has confirmed that the officer shot in southern Paris Thursday morning has now died.

BREAKING: Police union official: police officer shot in south of Paris has died

— The Associated Press (@AP)

The identity card of Charlie Hebdo shooting suspect Said Kouachi has been found in a car left by two of the suspects.

ID card of Said Kouachi, suspect in #CharlieHebdo attack, found in car left by 2 suspects

— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking)

The above image was obtained by AFP from a French police source, the BBC said.

AFP is reporting that the policewoman shot in southern Paris has died.

Policewoman shot by gunman in southern Paris today has died, @AFP reports

— BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews)

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve has said there appears to be only one shooter in Thursday’s attack in southern Paris, contradicting earlier reports. From AFP:

“The gunman is still on the run, said Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve — who rushed to the scene at Malakoff just south of the city — contradicting information given earlier by a source close to the case, who said the suspect had been detained.”

Cazeneuve said it is only the policewoman who is fighting for her life.

AFP has reported that a shooter from Thursday morning’s attack in southern Paris has been arrested.

AFP reporting shooter from the morning's attack in South Paris has been arrested #CharieHebdo

— James Longman (@JamesAALongman)

Police said two people are in a critical condition: a policewoman and a city employee, AFP reported.

They were fired on with an automatic rifle. Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve has rushed to the scene of the shooting near Porte de Chatillon.

Cazeneuve said another shooter is on the run.

BREAKING France's Interior Minister says man who shot police south of Paris on the run

— Stuart Norval (@stuartf24)

French TV station BMFTV is reporting that shots have been fired at police officers near Porte de Châtillon Metro station in the south of Paris. It is not clear if the incident is related to yesterday’s attacks.


At least one police officer has been injured. Some reports suggest he escaped in the Metro.

Breaking: gunfire at Paris' Porte de Chatillon, policeman injured, gunman escapes in metro. Unclear if any link #CharlieHebdo French reports

— Henry Samuel (@H_E_Samuel)

#BREAKING: Man fires on Paris police, one seriously injured

— Agence France-Presse (@AFP)

The incident is reported to have involved a white Renault Clio car.

2 injured in the latest shooting at Porte de Chatillon in southern Paris - a white Renault Clio involved #CharieHebdo

— James Longman (@JamesAALongman)

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said in an interview Thursday with RTL radio that there were “several arrests” overnight in the search for the two suspects in the Paris attack.

Police investigators search for evidence as an unidentified man (left) is detained during an operation in the eastern French city of Reims on Thursday. Christian Hartmann / Reuters

Valls said authorities had released photos of the two suspects in hopes witnesses would come forward and that preventing another attack “is our main concern.” Valls also said there had been several detentions overnight during the manhunt.

Hamyd Mourad, the youngest suspect in the attack, drove the getaway car, French authorities told the New York Times.


Mourad, 18, turned himself in Wednesday night at a police station in northern France. Authorities said Mourad is a French Muslim of North African descent, and the news magazine Le Point reported that he was unemployed.

Le Point also said police had identified the suspects after one of them left his identification papers in the getaway vehicle.

The oldest of the two brothers, Cherif Kouachi, 34, has been under the watch of authorities since he was arrested in 2005 in connection to a case related to a jihadi preacher.

Jihadi preacher Farid Benyettou recruited Cherif, who was 22 at the time, and he was later detained by French authorities as he prepared to fly to Syria on his way to Iraq, the Times reported.

At trial in 2008, Cherif said he had dreamed of attacking Jewish targets in France, but had been convinced by Benyettou that fighting the U.S. in Iraq was a better outlet for his jihad intentions.

His trial lawyer, Vincent Ollivier, said Cherif described himself as an “occasional Muslim,” enjoying rap music and smoking marijuana in his free time.

Libération, a French newspaper, said Cherif’s parents were Algerian immigrants, but that he was raised in foster care in western France.

Cherif trained as a fitness instructor, before moving to Paris, where he lived in the home of a Islam convert with his brother Said. He held several low-paying jobs in Paris, including pizza delivery and fishmonger.

Police are asking the public’s help in seeking the two outstanding suspects, Cherif and Said Kouachi.

Police in France now appealing for information on the remaining suspects (Kouachi brothers) #CharlieHebdo

— David Clinch (@DavidClinchNews)

Le Monde reported that 18-year-old Hamyd Mourad, who turned himself in to police, has not been charged with a crime. He is a relative of the brothers, the report said.

The youngest of the three suspects in the attack has surrendered to police, multiple news outlets reported.

The youngest of the three suspects hunted in the Paris shooting, 18-year-old Hamyd Mourad, has surrendered to police, sources tell @AFP

— Fran Blandy (@franblandy)

French Interior Ministry confirms to @ABC that youngest of 3 suspects in #CharlieHebdo attack has surrendered to police.

— Jon Williams (@WilliamsJon)

The 18-year-old turned himself in to police in northeast France, Reuters reported.

An official at the Paris prosecutor’s office said Hamyd Mourad surrendered at a police station in Charleville-Mézières at around midnight local time.

According to a report from BFMTV, the teen decided to go to police after seeing his name circulated in social media.

Le Monde is reporting that no arrests have taken place, citing police sources.

“Many rumors are circulating about the supposed detention of suspects in Reims,” the newspaper reported. “These are false reports. Police sources contacted by Le Monde say that no arrests have taken place at this time.”

BuzzFeed News reporter Anais Bordages is at the scene. Additional reporting by Marie Telling, Stephanie McNeal, Alan White, Francis Whittaker, Sam Schlinkert, Tom Namako, Mary Ann Georgantopoulos, Rosie Gray, Nicolas Medina Mora, and Michelle Broder Van Dyke.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back here and at BuzzFeed News on Twitter for updates.


The most recent cover of Charlie Hebdo satirized the anti-Islamic sentiments of writer Michel Houellebecq. An earlier update in this post said the most recent cover satirized the birth of baby Jesus. This was in fact a special holiday issue.

Check out more articles on!


More News

More News

Now Buzzing