Korean BBQ-Style Beef (Bulgogi)
700 grams rib eye steak, or any other well-marbled, tender cut
½ onion, cut into chunks
3 cloves garlic
½ pear, peeled and cut into chunks
1 spring onion, cut into chunks
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
⅓ cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons sesame oil
½ onion, cut into thin slices
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 spring onions, sliced into ½ centimeter rounds, to garnish
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, to garnish
Rice, to serve
Korean side dishes (banchan), to serve (optional)
1. Slice the beef as thinly as you can, then set aside in a large bowl. Having frozen or cold beef makes the slicing easier.
2. In a blender or food processor, blend the onion chunks, garlic, pear, spring onion pieces, brown sugar, pepper, soy sauce, and sesame oil until smooth.
3. Pour the marinade over the beef, add the onions, then mix evenly. Cover with cling film and marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
4. Heat canola oil in a skillet over high heat.
5. Being careful not to crowd the pan, sear the marinated beef and onions until browned, then sprinkle with the spring onions and sesame seeds.
6. Serve with the rice and side dishes!