1. A bottle of truly iconic Bio-Oil Multiuse Skincare Oil to take your skin from borderline scaly to oh-so-soft after just one application. It's formulated with vitamins A and E, along with chamomile, sunflower, and lavender oils to provide much-needed hydration without clogging pores or making skin feel greasy (the worst!). Plus, reviewers say it's highly effective when it comes to fading acne and other types of scars!
Promising review: "Love it! Makes my skin feel so soft and smooth! In the winter my skin becomes so dry and itchy that Bio-Oil is a must! It absorbs into my skin and leaves it feeling hydrated. I use it on my face and it is not too oily but it does stop my skin from flaking. It's awesome!!" —Angel Fitzgerald
Another promising review: "I've been using Bio-Oil on and off for several years. I love it. I have some slight scarring from bad acne when I was younger and after a few months of applying the Bio Oil the scarring was considerably improved and my skin was smoother. I have oily skin so I was concerned about using any type of oil on my face, but this stuff doesn't make me greasy at all (and I use it before bed). Added bonus; I LOVE the scent." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $8.92+ (available in three sizes).
2. CeraVe's Hydrating Cleanser, which was specifically formulated with dry skin in mind. It gently removes residue without stripping the skin of its natural moisture, and contains essential ceramides and hyaluronic acid, which help restore and maintain the skin barrier.
3. Briogeo's Scalp Revival to keep itching and scratching at bay when your scalp is feeling bone dry. It's made with tea tree, peppermint, and spearmint oils that provide a cooling sensation to soothe itchiness, while binchotan charcoal helps remove buildup for a cleaner scalp. And for a boost of hydration, hyaluronic acid and aloe vera help prevent skin from getting dry and flakey.
Briogeo is a Black woman–owned small biz dedicated to making inclusive haircare products that are cruelty-free, gluten-free, and mostly vegan.
Promising review: "I wish they came out with this product sooner because my dry scalp has been sufferinggg. I have their entire Scalp Revival line and this was the perfect addition to it. My scalp felt so refreshed, clean, and hydrated after. I have thin hair and a dry scalp so this is such a great product for it. Worth every dollar." —helentiffanycee
4. A tub of O'Keeffe's Healthy Feet Foot Cream that'll smooth out even the most cracked skin and caked-on calluses. It delivers essential exfoliation and moisture, and has a good dose of allantoin, which penetrates those super-thick areas.
Promising review: "Highly recommend! Works wonders! My feet were so cracked and dry. Now they are so soft and healthy. Keeps them hydrated. Never thought I'd get relief. So satisfied. Does work 100%. 10 stars! Also not greasy. At. All! Absorbs into feet within minutes and is not slippery after. LOVE this product! Will be a lifetime user for sure! Swear by it." —Emma Bell
Get it from Amazon for $8.99 (also available in multipacks).
5. A tube of Weleda Skin Food you'll "eat" right up once you discover how well it transforms your dull, parched skin. Per its name, it contains yummy-sounding, skin-enhancing ingredients like rosemary and chamomile extracts and sunflower and sweet almond oils.
Promising review: "I have really dry skin. No matter what I do. Drinking water, vitamins, and layering moisturizer has helped but it's still dry. Weather changes and pollution don't help. I also get dark spots/discoloration. This has helped a lot with dryness and the discoloration. I use on my face and my skin is all glowy when I wake up. Only been using a few weeks but very happy that it's improving my skin." —AMReynaud
Get it from Amazon for $12.49+ (available in two sizes).
6. Laneige's Lip Sleeping Mask, which keeps lips kissably smooth by trapping moisture to prevent chapping and cracking. Swipe some on before bed and let it work its magic overnight — oh, and there's even a limited edition pumpkin spice scent rn. 👀
Just apply a bit of this to your lips before you catch some shuteye, and let the vitamin C- and antioxidant-packed formula do the rest.
Promising review: "Love this lip mask! Smells amazing! The best smelling one by far and is not too sticky, just the right texture. Keeps lips hydrated for hours!" —aaloveshorses
Another promising review: "I love this lip mask! I have always struggled to find a lip product that would keep my severely dry lips at bay and this is the product! I have been using this for the past few weeks and I have never had such plush smooth lips. I wear it at night and sometimes during the day depending on what I am doing. If you struggle with dry lips, I highly recommend you give this a try." —Holly2176
7. A Dr. Jart+ color correcting treatment that balances out redness while providing thirsty skin with some much needed hydration. And while we're on the subject of redness: painful sunburns, be gone! (It's got SPF 30.)
Promising review: "This is such a great cream for anyone who suffers from dry or red skin. It definitely hydrates my super dry sensitive face. But it also helps correct redness I have from acne scarring or marks. My mom wears this instead of foundation. I like to wear it under my foundation for more color correction." —Kiles
Another promising review: "My makeup artist used this on my wedding day and I was so blown away with the coverage of my redness. I ordered a jar for myself shortly after and it’s quickly become a holy grail in my skincare/makeup routine. I don’t even need to use green concealer if I put this on under my makeup. The SPF is an added bonus!" —MariaTheGreek
Get it from Sephora for $20+ (available in two sizes).
8. A milky toning lotion, which will make your skin so silky-soft, you'll wanna keep touching it just to make sure it's real. A mixture of hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and snow mushroom (!) keeps everything nice and dewy so you'll be able to go about your day with a moisturized glow.
Based in Brooklyn, NY, Good Light is a small business focused on "beauty beyond the binary." Their products are vegan, cruelty-free, nontoxic, and fragrance-free.
Promising review: "This is hands-down one of the best toners I have ever tried. It is so hydrating, and it makes your skin GLOW. I have sensitive skin, and toners are hit and miss, but this actually calms any burning and redness I'm feeling. I can't imagine my regimen without it!" —Lacy C.
Get it from Good Light for $22.
9. A multipurpose balm made with soothing botanicals for dabbing pretty much anywhere you experience severe dryness, like your feet, hands, lips, cuticles...plus, it's made from a vegan beeswax alternative!
Cocokind is a San Francisco-based small biz that makes truly dreamy, cruelty-free skincare products with sustainability in mind.
Promising review: "I love everything about this balm. My dry, cracked, wintery hands soooo appreciate this balm at the end of the day. I apply it at night on my hands and any dry patches and when I wake up, my skin is moisturized and healthy again. It’s hard to find an intense moisturizer that doesn’t have petrochemicals in it. This feels better than any of those drugstore brands and I can feel better about the pure ingredients." —sarah b.
10. E.l.f.'s Poreless Putty Primer, which has over 25,000 5-star ratings — probably because it's more than just a smooth makeup base. It contains squalane, which mimics oil naturally found in our bodies to keep parched skin hydrated, so your face will feel as good as it looks. Oh, and reviewers say your makeup will. not. budge. with this stuff.
11. Or Milk Makeup's Hydro Grip Primer for anyone who prefers a more gel-like consistency. Not only will it keep your makeup looking fresh literal hours after you apply it; it'll also help banish dryness with its hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and aloe water formula.
Promising review: "People have been talking about this primer non-stop and I’ve finally been able to test it out. I’d give this primer a 10 out of 10. It made my sensitive/dry skin super hydrated and helped my makeup go on smoothly. My first time using this, my makeup looked so good that I forgot to put on setting spray! My makeup lasted all day after applying this primer. This is a MUST HAVE!" —speakingofmyaa
12. A CeraVe face moisturizer with SPF 30, because if you're anything like me, even just thinking about colder weather instantly makes your skin dry up. At any rate, this ceramide-packed stuff will keep your face from feeling desert-like during your apple-picking outings while also protecting it from the sun!
This is my go-to face moisturizer/sunscreen and I apply it *every* morning. As someone who can't stand the feeling of being caked in tons of products, especially on my face, I love that this is a 2-in-1 and saves me a step in my routine. I find that the formula absorbs really quickly — especially considering it has SPF — and it keeps my dry-as-a-desert skin feeling hydrated and looking just a bit dewy without being greasy (aka the absolute worst!). Plus, it doesn't have a runny consistency, meaning I can confidently toss it into my bag without worrying about it leaking everywhere, and the twist-and-lock cap adds extra reinforcement. Since it's just three ounces, I don't have to run to the store for a travel-sized version whenever I have a flight coming up, and it's super affordable to boot. The one thing I would advise is waiting for any serums or skin products you apply before it to fully absorb before putting this on, since it'll help prevent pilling.
P.S. I personally don't notice a white cast left behind, but as you can see from the photo, I have extremely fair skin, and some reviewers with darker skin mentioned they did notice a cast. That said, there's another great option below!
Promising review: "Finally I have found my perfect sunscreen. Most moisturizing sunscreens either aren’t sufficient on their own or leave you with a film/greasy feeling. Honestly, even as a stand alone moisturizer this stands out. Skin feels fully hydrated and protected with zero residue. I tend to lean towards dry/dehydrated skin that can be very acne prone, especially with sunscreen, but I definitely think this would work for all skin types." —matt
Get it from Amazon for $14.62.
13. Or a brightening SPF 30 moisturizer formulated with darker skin tones in mind, since it swaps the chalky residue for a glowy, radiant finish. Plus, it contains vitamin C (which helps reduce signs of sun damage) along with nourishing moisturizers and extracts.
Bolden is a small, Black woman-owned biz making skincare products that are never tested on animals.
Promising review: "Love this. This is my new facial care — very light and moisturizing, the sunscreen is great. And it works." —Carol A Newman
Another promising review: "I love this moisturizer. Being a dark-skinned African American, I find that often times sunscreen leaves a residue. This is the first sunscreen I've ever used that doesn't leave any weird discoloration, feels great on my skin, and it aids in reducing hyperpigmentation. I even have sensitive skin and haven't had any breakouts while using Bolden's sunscreen. A pump and a half is all I need for my face and neck. I highly recommend it and will be buying more for my family." —Missy D
Get it from Amazon for $27.99.