We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples, but all opinions and reviews are our own. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
Unless otherwise specified, all sizes in this post are listed in women’s.
1. A waterproof pair of Milwaukee Leather lace-up boots crafted with adjustable calf buckle closures, sturdy welt construction, and a moisture-wicking lining to help you trudge through whatever weather comes your way.
Promising review: "I can tell that these are going to be great riding boots. They look great and are completely worth the money. They are heavy, durable, and genuine leather. I can't imagine these wearing out whatsoever. They are work boot quality and will definitely hold up over the years. Milwaukee has a client for life!" —jannybug
Get them from Amazon for $139.99+ (available in sizes 5–11).
2. A pair of equestrian-inspired Frye boots showcasing a tailored look reviewers say get more and more comfortable each time they pull 'em on. Pair them with a cozy sweater dress and ta-da! The ideal chilly weather outfit.
Promising review: "OMG! These are the greatest boots! I have been wanting a pair of Frye boots for so long! But these are extra special because I wanted a pair without a zipper, and these fit the bill! They are so comfortable, and the leather is rich and soft looking. I am in heaven! I love them so much I went back and got a couple of other pairs in different colors. They were just a little tight when first trying to get my foot in down at the ankle area, but after getting my foot in, they were perfect. There is still room for my skinny jeans to fit down inside. I will never have to buy another pair of boots because I see these and the others lasting until my death lol. I will be requesting to be buried with my boots on. Totally worth it." —🐱Mrs Kitty
Get them from Amazon for $185.28+ (available in sizes 5.5–11 and 13 colors).
3. Some leather Vagabond boots featuring elastic side panels for anyone who loves the ~classic tall black boot lewk~ but also appreciates contrasting fabrics that'll make them stand out from the rest.
4. A super versatile pair of J.Crew leather boots designed with a stacked heel if you prefer a zipperless look. The best part is you won't have to replace these lovelies for a looong time, so go ahead and plan all your fall 'fits around them.
Promising review: "These boots are perfect. I call these my rest-of-my-life boots. Cared for properly, they should last a very long time. They are a classic style and will go with many things. AND, they fit my muscular calves. I’m 5’4”, and they come all the way up to my knees. These are wonderful, and I highly recommend!" —Kellyminelly
Get them from J.Crew for $348 (available in sizes 5–12).
5. Some brown leather knee-high cowboy boots by Lane Boots boasting gorgeous whipstitching down the sides and memory foam footbeds so you can comfortably wear them to your next country concert tailgate.
Promising review: "These knee-high cowboy boots offer a true western look and fit. Love the smell of leather, and the heal and detail are perfect. True to size, but as with most western-style boots, expect the heel to fit loosely." —Knickerbocker
Get them from Nordstrom for $294.95 (available in sizes 5–11).
6. A sturdy pair of Harley-Davidson lace-up leather boots designed with durable Goodyear welt construction plus oil- and slip-resistant rubber outsoles that'll make you feel like a ~total badass~ each time you zip 'em up.
FYI, these boots are included in Prime Try Before You Buy, so you can give them a trial run if you’re a member!
Promising review: "Beyond perfect! Honestly, I'm in love! So many great things to love about these boots! The lace-up system in the front of the boot is not only such a cool look, but it helps fit this boot custom to your needs. They fit perfectly once you have it set where you want it; you just zip and unzip without having to mess around with the lacing again. Nice ease! I also love, love, love — did I say love, LOL — the high quality of these boots. They are so substantial, and I will feel very protected on the bike. What can I say? These are just the coolest boots I have ever owned! Harley-Davidson is quality through and through!" —stassy
Get them from Amazon for $219.85+ (available in sizes 5–11).
7. A handmade pair of leather knee-high Duo Boots featuring memory foam insoles available in eight calf sizes so you won't have to simply ~hope~ they'll fit your lower legs. They're also available in standard, petite, and tall sizes!
Not sure which size to pick? Take their "find your fit" quiz!
Promising review: "SO HAPPY WITH THESE BOOTS! Every year, the end of summer/early fall starts with the same knee-high boot hunt online, and every year, I end up with some ill-fitting, cheap-looking boot. I have wide calves. What can I say? When I opened the box and tried on the boots — JOY, JOY, JOY! They fit. They look great. I don't look like I'm wearing a cheap, ill-fitting boot. SO HAPPY! I will wear these with joy and pleasure all fall and winter. Can't wait to order my next pair." —Samantha
Get them from Duo Boots for $234 (available in sizes 5–12 and calf widths 30–50 cm).
8. Some leather Naturalizer black knee-high boots with stylish, elasticized panels and convenient zippers to pull on and keep your feet and calves protected from the elements.
Promising review: "I cannot say enough good things about these boots! I have had a hard time finding boots that I can walk in for a long time, but I have traveled in these, worn them around town doing errands, and also worn them with dresses at parties. I've gotten lots of compliments on them as well." —Christine
Get them from Amazon for $97.59+ (available in sizes 4–11 with wide options).
Psst, here are even more black boots to fill your closet with.
9. A pair of Crown Vintage knee-high riding boots complete with a lightly padded footbed and stacked block heel that’ll ~kick~ the rest of your fall footwear to the curb (or at least to the side to make room in your closet).
10. A pair of leather Corral boots featuring an intricately detailed embroidered design from top to bottom that'll make you feel like you rule the Wild West. Bonus perk: Reviewers say there's no break-in period!
11. A bestselling pair of Madewell tall leather boots boasting an easy-to-walk-in stacked heel you can grab in three autumnal hues, all of which are so gorgeous they'll make ya' weak in the ~knees~.
These versatile boots are designed with "Cloudlift Lite padding," which, as you could probably imagine, is ohhh so comfortable. Plus, the leather is sourced from a tannery that earned a "Gold Rating" for their sustainable practices.
Get them from Madewell for $348 (available in sizes 5–11 and three colors).
On the hunt for some stylish rain boots and shoes, too? We've got you covered.
12. Some bold Dr. Martens knee-high platform boots for a ~tall twist~ on a classic style. These feature medium-weight milled Napa leather, Goodyear-welted lines, and side zippers (in other words, you definitely won't need to tie and untie these every single day).
Promising review: "When I saw these...I HAD to have them. They fit beautifully. What I love about these is they added the zippers for a much easier on and off experience. I like that the leather is also quite a bit more forgiving in the heel area so the break-in period is minimal, so you don't have to worry about them breaking into your heels and blistering. All in all, can't recommend them enough if you're looking for this kind of boot." —Sarah S.
Get them from Dr. Martens for $230 (Available in sizes 5–11).
13. A sleek pair of Vagabond platform boots crafted with smooth leather that'll make you wonder why it took you so long to invest in a pair like these in the first place.
Promising review: "I love this boot! I have worn it every day since receiving it! I mostly sit at work, but so far, I think they’re very comfortable. The shaft is narrow, but I have small legs, so this was a plus for me. I’m also short, so I was worried the shaft would be too long, but it’s the perfect height. These boots are worth every penny! So glad I grabbed them before they sold out everywhere again!" —Nordstrom Reviewer
Get them from Nordstrom for $250 (available in sizes 6–11).
14. A pair of waterproof Dolce Vita boots featuring chunky platform soles any boot aficionado will appreciate. These beauties are super durable and will basically solve all your future "what shoes should I wear?" woes.
15. A fashion-forward pair of Nine West knee-high leather boots providing four-inch heel lifts (including a lil' platform) with the power to make it look like you basically have your entire life together.
Promising review: "These are so comfortable, I can wear them all day! Well-made, quality material! I always get compliments and people asking where they can buy them. I also ordered them in brown once I realized I wouldn’t find a better pair anywhere!" —Samantha
Get them from Nine West for $189 (available in sizes 5–12 and two styles).
Plus, imagine wearing these beauties with a stylish coat!
16. A pair of Vince Camuto knee-high boots featuring a square toe and flared block heel that'll easily make their way to the very front of your closet.
Promising review: "This is THE boot of the season by far! It fits so nicely, easy to take on and OFF, and not to mention, they are beautiful. This is a great designer and an excellent company. I’m in love." —Karin C.
Get them from Vince Camuto for $229 (available in sizes 5–12 and five leather options).
17. Some leather Free People slouchy boots crafted with a leather upper, leather textile and lining, *and* a leather outsole to seriously elevate your fall/winter look without skimping on quality.
Promising review: "These are really cute low-heel boots. I have an athletic build, so sometimes, my calves feel too tight in tall boots, and as these started out more fitted, I feel like they will loosen to be perfect. Would recommend." —Anonymous
Get them from Zappos for $168 (available in sizes 6–11 and two colors).
18. A pair of Fairfax and Favor leather boots oozing elegance. With memory foam insoles, scalloped details at the cuff, and a fully-lined leather interior, they're sure to have you (and everyone around you) swooning.
Promising review: "Stunningly beautiful boots as usual with unbeatable quality! I cannot believe how well the Fairfax and Favor boots fit; it's like they've been made to measure! They make you feel so smart the instant you put them on and are so comfortable; I hardly ever wear heeled shoes except for these lovelies!" —Katie-Jo N
Get them from Zappos for $585 (available in sizes 5–11).
19. And a super luxe Dear Frances knee-high leather boot handcrafted in Italy. A worthy investment if you're looking to splurge on a ~drool-worthy pair with distinctive flair~ that'll take you through years and years of chilly weather!
Note: Use their size guide to convert from EU to US sizes.
Promising review: "I compared these to cheaper but similar-looking alternatives, and as it turns out, Ana boots are just incomparably more comfy with exceptional quality. So chic and beautiful, yet comfy and versatile! The leather seems to stretch well, so I don’t feel any pain on my feet walking around." —Yeonjee B.
Get them from Dear Frances for $795 (available in sizes EU 35 / US 4 – EU 42 / US 12 and four leather colors).
Plus, here are some other splurge-worthy products to invest in this year.
Me @ all of these boots rn:
The reviews for this post have been edited for length and/or clarity.