While the video may be blasphemous to hardcore Beatles fans, there is an actual connection between “Setting Sun” and the band.
The Chemical Brothers have stated that the classic Beatles track “Tomorrow Never Knows” is their “manifesto” and that “Setting Sun” (which features Oasis’ Noel Gallagher on vocals) is a tribute to it.
When “Setting Sun” was released in 1996 the song immediately hit No. 1 on the UK charts. At the time many people assumed the track had sampled “Tomorrow…,” the three surviving Beatles even took legal action against The Chemical Brothers and Virgin Records for copyright infringement, accusing the band of sampling the original - in particular a portion of the drum loop.
The case was dismissed, The Chemical Brothers proved they had independently created their own drum loop.
2. Here’s a bonus vid of them performing “Smack My Bitch Up”:
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- Uber's CEO met with more than 100 female engineers on Thursday to discuss sexism and harassment allegations at the company.
- Beyoncé is backing out of Coachella under doctors' advice. But she plans to headline the festival again in 2018 😭🐝