In 1985, Disney released an unofficial live-action sequel to the 1939 MGM film The Wizard of Oz.
Starring Fairuza Balk as Dorothy, the movie was a much darker and creepier interpretation than its 1939 predecessor. The movie’s overall dark tone led to confusion among parents who brought their kids to the theatres expecting to see a lighthearted musical.
In reality, Return to Oz was much more faithful to the Oz books.
Now let’s relive the horror:
1. A worried Aunt Em takes Dorothy to a creepy insane asylum to get her treated for what she assumes is made-up memories about Oz.
2. Dorothy is strapped down in a stretcher and taken to receive electroshock therapy.
3. Dorothy almost drowns in a river during a storm in her attempt to escape the asylum.
4. Creepy rocks act as spies for the new King of Oz, the Nome King. They watch and report Dorothy’s every move.
5. A dilapidated Emerald City is now protected by guards called Wheelers.
6. A headless witch named Mombi now rules over the Emerald city.
7. Dorothy befriend’s the creepy Jack Pumpkinhead, who asks her if he can call her mom.
8. In the most terrifying scene, Dorothy accidentally wakes up a sleeping Mombi while trying to retrieve a magical powder.
9. The headless Mombi tries to go after Dorothy!
10. While all the different heads in Mombi’s collection scream around her.
11. Dorothy comes face-to-face with a giant angry Nome King who tries to eat Jack Pumpkinhead.
- Top legal scholars will be filing the 1st major lawsuit against President Donald Trump's alleged business conflicts on Monday.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure first-time marchers stick around ✊
- Alt-right news platform Breitbart News is set to expand its presence in Italy, BuzzFeed News has learned 📰 🇮🇹
- The New England Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again. They'll play the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈