15 People Shared The Advice That Helped Change Their Lives, And I'm Def Taking Notes
Sometimes, a free bit of advice can be worth more than gold.
Let's be honest: At some point or another, we have all heard or have gotten some advice that has really stuck with us and helped make us better people.
Hundreds of people replied to the thread. Here are some of the top-voted and best comments:
2. "Never have an argument with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you through experience."
3. "Not really advice, just a remark someone made a few times that hit home. They said that most things people do have nothing to do with you, even if it’s directed at you. It really did change my life in that I hardly ever take things personal anymore."
5. "To truly become the best, you must strive to surpass yourself. Not the competition."
6. "I was told by my dad that the only person I need to be better than is the person I was yesterday."
7. "You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches."
"Used to stress about people liking me or not, stemming from different experiences as a kid. I read this quote and realized that I can be the best I can be, but I'm still not gonna be to everyone's taste, and that's alright. Helped me not stress almost entirely about that."
9. "Be involved, not attached."
"Had major problems socializing for most of my life. It's way better now, thanks to advice like this. It doesn't mean you have to dominate every conversation, just be more involved. Ask the talking person questions, repeat what they said in other words to clarify their statements, ask follow-up questions. Let them know you're actually interested in what they have to say. Making people talk will get you way farther than talking about yourself."
11. "Don’t worry about what other people are thinking about you, because everyone is only thinking about themselves."
12. "Before you gossip, ask yourself: Is it true, is it kind, is it necessary?"
13. "Stop putting everyone else first. Think about what you need before you try to help anyone else."
"You have to be selfish and take care of yourself before anyone else, otherwise you’ll have nothing left to give others. It’s okay to put yourself first, it doesn’t mean you don’t care about anyone else."