1. Walt Disney created Mickey Mouse after he lost the rights to his very popular cartoon character, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, to Universal Pictures.
6. Steamboat Willie and Plane Crazy cost $2,500 a piece to make.
Calculated for inflation, that’s roughly $35,000.
9. Walt was the voice of Mickey from 1928-1946.
He allegedly had to stop voicing the character after he damaged his voice due to his smoking habit.
Since then, only four other people have gone on to voice Mickey: first Jim MacDonald, followed by Wayne Allwine, and currently by both Bret Iwan and Chris Diamantopoulos.
12. Mickey also has a sister named Amelia Fieldmouse.
Amelia is the mother to Morty and Ferdie and has only appeared in the comics.
13. In one really bizarre 1930 comic book storyline, Mickey tries to commit suicide in various ways, after he suspects Minnie of cheating on him!
Needless to say, he does not succeed.
14. Mickey and Minnie are married according to Walt.
According to the Sept. 30, 1933 issue of Film Pictorial magazine, Walt said:
“In private life, Mickey is married to Minnie. A lot of people have written to him asking this question, because sometimes he appears to be married to her in his films and other times still courting her. What it really amounts to is that Minnie is, for screen purposes, his leading lady. If the story calls for a romantic courtship, then Minnie is the girl; but when the story requires a married couple, then they appear as man and wife. In the studio we have decided that they are married already.”
16. In a 1936 Japanese animated propaganda film, Mickey Mouse’s image was used to represent the West invading Japan.
17. Mickey’s iconic role as the apprentice in “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice,” in Fantasia, almost went to Dopey Dwarf.
20. Despite his popularity, Mickey took a 30-year hiatus between films. His last cartoon, The Simple Things, premiered in 1953. He would not appear in another cartoon until 1983’s Mickey’s Christmas Carol.
- Donald Trump promised insurance for everyone this weekend, but Senate Republicans say they assume he misspoke.
- Blue Lies Matter: Video finally proved that police officers lie — and why they get away with it.
- Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- A Toronto man is on a mission to bathe at a different stranger's house every day this month. And so far, so good🛀