People Are Sharing The Universally Beloved Movies That They Absolutely Hate, And There Are Some Controversial Takes
"People are always appalled when they find out."
Recently, we asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us what universally beloved and popular movie they absolutely do not like. And, whew, they really shared their takes on some iconic movies.
1. "Toy Story. It’s incredibly annoying and I really can’t stand 'You’ve Got a Friend in Me.'"
2. "Jurassic Park, the original one with Sam Neill. The CGI was great and holds up, but the story and characters are so fucking annoying I was rooting for them all to die. The movie was honestly so hard to sit through, I don’t get how everyone loves that movie."
3. "I hate, hate, hate, hate E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial with every fiber of my being. It scared the crap out of me when I was a kid and I never got over it. People are always appalled when they find out."
4. "It's a toss-up between Ferris Bueller's Day Off or The Breakfast Club...they were both extremely boring to me and I definitely think they are both overrated. But, if I had to choose, I hated Ferris Bueller just a little bit more."
5. "Bridesmaids. It was so not funny at all."
6. "Dirty Dancing was sooooo boring! I had been told what a classic it was and heard so many of my girlfriends say it was their favorite movie, but I hated it. Literally the only moment I found good was the 'I brought the watermelon' bit."
7. "Moana. I don't know why people like it. All the songs are annoying and I don't understand the storyline."
8. "I honestly think Forrest Gump is a stupid movie. People still quote from that movie even today, and all I can think about is how awful the film really was."
9. "Citizen Kane is SO BORING. I feel like people just say they like it because they are expected to like it because someone, somewhere decided it was the gold standard for cinema. It's not. It sucks. Watching paint dry is more compelling."
10. "OMG, Hocus Pocus. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about Halloween and spooky things, but I don't see the charm in it. It's just another Halloween movie for kids and there's nothing special about it."
11. "The Sound of Music. A fascinating story turned into a saccharine, schmaltzy musical. NOT one of my favorite things!"
12. "Ghostbusters — it was stupid and not in the slightest bit amusing."
13. "Breakfast at Tiffany's. Hate it — the characters are shallow and self-absorbed. Everyone in the movie is unlikable, except the cat, which she dumps in an alley. We won't even go there about Mickey Rooney."
14. "Inception. The movie was okay, but any time you say you didn't love it, some guy will accuse you of being too dumb to understand it. I understood it just fine, I just didn't like it."
15. "The Princess Bride. The humor and storyline are so predictable. It’s like watching someone tell a dad joke to a silent crowd for 90 minutes. It’s just bad."
16. "Frozen! It was just shit!!!"
17. "Pretty Woman. People hold it to such a high regard, but the plot is so cliché. I finally watched it for the first time and I was gritting my teeth and cringing through the whole movie."
18. "Moulin Rouge! I feel like the whole world couldn’t get enough of it when I came out. I watched it and thought it was crap!!!"
19. "Mean Girls — it's just not funny or entertaining. I've never understood why it's so popular and constantly quoted."
20. "Elf. It’s not funny. The only movie I’ve ever walked out of."
21. "Pulp Fiction is so overrated. I think any Quentin Tarantino movie is overrated, though."
22. "It's a Wonderful Life. It's so boring and feels like it's 63,283 hours long. Waste of my life watching that."
23. "The Wizard of Oz is the worst."
24. "Up. It may be that I’m just a heartless cold bastard, but the beginning of the movie is so manipulative. Let’s see who we can make cry...um, not me!"
25. "The Notebook. I can’t believe I actually watched the whole thing."
26. "Napoleon Dynamite sucks. It's boring, it's filled with secondhand embarrassment, and is a pain to watch."
27. "Titanic is my number-one most hated movie that everyone loves. I saw it in the theater and people were swooning, and I thought it was pure garbage."
28. "The Lion King. Aside from the songs and Scar being a sassy pants, the plot is boring and predictable — give me The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride any day!"
29. "Home Alone!!! Oh my Lord, I just can’t stand it!"
Do you agree with these takes?! Sound off in the comments below and let us know what you think.
Note: Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.