47 Things You Might Not Know About NSYNC
NSYNC really does owe their entire career to the Backstreet Boys!
1. Lou Pearlman, who launched NSYNC's career and managed the band (along with fellow boy-banders Backstreet Boys), was inspired to create boy bands after seeing the success of New Kids on the Block in the early '90s.
2. Backstreet Boys' Howie Dorough was responsible for introducing Chris Kirkpatrick to Lou, after the two met at a local junior college.
3. After failing to make the cut to join Backstreet, Chris came up with the idea for NSYNC, and pitched it to Pearlman.
4. Chris recruited Joey Fatone after meeting him at Universal Orlando, where they both worked as performers.
5. Justin Timberlake, who was asked to join the band by Lou, recruited his former The All-New Mickey Mouse Club co-star JC Chasez.
6. Originally, the band's fifth member was a singer named Jason Galasso, but he quit shortly after the band formed and was replaced by Lance Bass.
7. NSYNC is an acronym using the last letter of each member's first name: JustiN, ChriS, JoeY, JasoN, and JC.
8. Justin's mother, Lynn Harless, was the one who came up with the idea for the acronym.
9. When Lance joined the band he was nicknamed "Lanceton" in order to fit the acronym.
10. Lance was recruited when he heard NSYNC was looking for a replacement singer via a vocal coach, who also coached Timberlake.
11. The band was co-managed by Johnny Wright, who, at the time, managed the Backstreet Boys and had previously managed New Kids on the Block.
12. Lou made himself a sixth member of NSYNC, without the band's consent. It allowed him to take a sixth of the profits, on top of his fees and commissions.
13. The band's debut single, "I Want You Back." was released in Germany in 1996, which was a year before their debut album dropped there.
14. "I Want You Back" wasn't released as a single in the U.S. until 1998.
15. NYSNC's debut album, 'N Sync, was released in Germany on May 26, 1997.
16. The European edition of their debut album contained a cover of Boston's "More Than a Feeling."
17. Their debut album wasn't released in the United States until March 24, 1998, almost a year after it was released in Europe.
18. Initial sales of the album were sluggish; it wasn't till after the exposure they got from their Disney Channel special, "NSYNC Live In Concert," aired in July 1998, that sales of the album picked up.
19. The band's first top10 single on the Billboard Hot 100 was "(God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time on You." It reached No. 8.
20. NSYNC's first full-fledged North America tour was as an opening act for Janet Jackson on her The Velvet Rope Tour.
21. Justin thought JC had the best voice in the group.
22. NSYNC appeared on an episode of Touched by an Angel. They played street performers.
23. The band also made a cameo in the film Longshot, which was written and produced by Lou as a way to promote his artists, including NYSNC, Britney Spears, Take 5, and LFO. The film was never released in theaters.
24. In 1999, Chris launched a short-lived fashion line named FuMan Skeeto.
25. Lance dated Boy Meets World's Danielle Fishel from 1999–2000.
26. Joey and Lance were the first band members to star in a feature-length film. The two co-starred in the Lance-produced 2001 film On the Line.
27. Joey was the first member of NSYNC to find out that Lance is gay. He told the rest of the band a few months later.
28. Lance is the godfather to Joey's daughter, Brianna.
29. In 1999, NSYNC sued Lou and his record company, Trans Continental, for defrauding them of millions.
30. The lawsuit, which was eventually settled out of court, got NSYNC out of their contract with Lou, Trans Continental, and their label BMG, allowing them to sign with Jive Records.
31. Lou is now serving 25 years in prison for running a Ponzi scheme.
32. When he is released in 2029, Lou has vowed that he will "find the next Justin Timberlake."
33. In 2000, their second album, No Strings Attached, sold a record-breaking 2.4 million copies within the first week of release (a record that still holds today).
34. No Strings Attached (which ultimately sold 11.13 million copies) is the second-biggest selling album of the 2000s, behind The Beatles' 1.
35. Despite No Strings Attached being NYSNC's most successful album, it has sold fewer copies than Backstreet's 1999 album Millennium, which has sold around 12.2 million copies.
36. Songwriter Andreas Carlsson, who co-wrote "Bye Bye Bye," also co-wrote Backstreet's "I Want It That Way."
37. "It's Gonna Be Me" is the only NSYNC single to have hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
38. In 2002, NYSNC's cameo in Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones was cut after much public outcry from fans.
39. Justin co-wrote the song "Pop" with Wade Robson, who was the band's choreographer.
40. Wade also appeared in the video for "Pop," as Joey Fatone (who had injured his leg) in the long-shot dancing sequences.
41. Wade is also allegedly the man with whom Britney Spears cheated on Justin.
44. The last song NSNYC performed together — before reuniting at the 2013 VMAs — was "The Star-Spangled Banner," which they performed at a charity event in 2004.
45. Lance felt betrayed by Justin's decision to put NSYNC on hold in order to pursue a solo career.
46. Justin said that his solo album Justified was 10 times better than anything he ever did with NSYNC.
47. Justin recently said that leaving NSYNC was "one of the best/worst things that I have ever done."