In celebration of the 45th anniversary of this iconic Disney attraction, D23 gave us a look at concept art from the 1950s and early 1960s that reflected some of the ideas for the ride.
1. This sketch shows an early version of the Haunted Mansion with a much more sinister-looking Victorian exterior. Of course they eventually settled on a Southern plantation façade.
2. Apparently the hanging corpse in the “stretching room” was supposed to be surrounded by floating furniture.
He currently hangs sans furniture.
3. Early concept art for the Grand Hall organist.
And, as any Disney fan can tell you, the organ that was eventually used for this scene is the actual organ played by Captain Nemo in Disney’s adaption of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
4. The creepy bride was originally envisioned to stand atop a staircase instead of in the attic.
D23 will unveil more images like these during its Fanniversary roadshow tour later this year. For more information on the tour, check out this link.
A complete ride-through of the Haunted Mansion attraction:
- Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, is cold-emailing potential candidates to serve in a potential Trump administration 🔴
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- In case you were wondering, no — a big cyber attack couldn't swing the election.
- Kesha fans rejoice: Sony just confirmed that a new album is in the works 🎵