1. Warner Bros. was initially concerned and hesitant about the casting of Phoebe Cates as Kate, due to her being primarily known for her risqué role in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
4. Originally Gizmo was supposed to be the villain, turning into a Gremlin himself and becoming the leader of the Gremlin pack.
Steven Spielberg overruled this plot element because he felt Gizmo was cute and audiences would want to see him throughout the film.
5. In the original version of the script, the Gremlins kill both the family dog and Billy’s mom by cutting off her head and tossing it down the stairs.
10. Gizmo never eats in the movie.
11. Mr. Hanson, the science teacher, was originally killed by dozens of hypodermic needles to the face.
The scene was reshot by request from Steven Spielberg; he felt it was just too gruesome. Instead, Mr. Hanson dies from just a single needle in the butt.
13. This was the first film to use the now familiar Amblin Entertainment logo.
15. Stripe is voiced by veteran voice actor Frank Welker, best known as the voice of Fred on Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
20. The WWII-era Looney Tunes cartoon Falling Hare (where Bugs Bunny is harassed by a gremlin) was supposed to show before the movie.
After viewing an early screening of the film, Warner Bros. executives feared pairing Bugs Bunny with such a dark movie, and they decided against including the cartoon.
21. Steven Spielberg also makes a quick cameo.
- Donald Trump responded to the father of a fallen Muslim American soldier who criticized him at the DNC, saying, "I've made a lot of sacrifices."
- Luke Aikins became the first skydiver to successfully jump out of a plane without a parachute. He landed on a net 🌎💪
- Sixteen people died after a hot air balloon caught fire and crashed in Texas Saturday.