2. People love them.
Reportedly, 10 million snaps a day use filters.
4. Though they are occasionally terrifying.
5. Lenses became so popular that Snapchat decided to cash in on them. It opened a store where the lenses, which had been temporary, could be purchased for repeated use.
6. People were not pleased.
7. Responding to the outcry (or disappointing sales, perhaps) Snapchat is scrapping its lens store.
Instead, the company will offer its users a changing selection of 10 lenses each day — for free.
But Snapchat will still make money from its lenses. The company will continue to sell sponsored lenses to advertisers. As BuzzFeed News previously reported, Snapchat is asking $450,000 per day for sponsorships running Sunday through Thursday, $500,000 per day for those on Fridays and Saturdays, and $700,000 per day for any that it runs on a holiday.
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- Several states will keep enforcing bans against transgender discrimination in schools after Trump withdrew guidelines protecting students.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- And people with disabilities are having their photos stolen and Facebook isn't helping them.