2. People love them.
Reportedly, 10 million snaps a day use filters.
4. Though they are occasionally terrifying.
5. Lenses became so popular that Snapchat decided to cash in on them. It opened a store where the lenses, which had been temporary, could be purchased for repeated use.
6. People were not pleased.
7. Responding to the outcry (or disappointing sales, perhaps) Snapchat is scrapping its lens store.
Instead, the company will offer its users a changing selection of 10 lenses each day — for free.
But Snapchat will still make money from its lenses. The company will continue to sell sponsored lenses to advertisers. As BuzzFeed News previously reported, Snapchat is asking $450,000 per day for sponsorships running Sunday through Thursday, $500,000 per day for those on Fridays and Saturdays, and $700,000 per day for any that it runs on a holiday.
- Tennessee authorities have charged 2 minors with starting the massive wildfires that killed 14 people last month.
- Donald Trump has picked former WWE CEO Linda McMahon to lead the Small Business Administration.
- At least 2 women say Stanford offered them money to close federal probes into its handling of sexual assault cases.
- Dozens of employees and patients say the US's biggest psychiatric chain locks up people for insurance money.