Hi, I’m Breana, a 30-something-year-old mother of two who pretends she's really into Disney but really, just nostalgic for some Smart House. When Disney+ came out, I was shocked to see so many movies that I had not seen or heard of before. This is one of them.
10 Things I Hate About You is an obvious cult classic that is still talked about. So, of course, I have never seen it.
It stars Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon Levitt, that girl from Alex Mack, and a true icon: Bernard the Elf. It’s supposed to be a retelling of Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare, and as someone who has not seen that play, I guess we will never know the accuracy.
1. The opening is a 10/10, classic '90s teenage mood.
3. Cameron was only a part of this school for an hour, how does he even know the inner dealings of Bianca?
4. This movie does not age well with it’s usage of derogatory wording.
5. YA’LL, KAT IS EVERYTHING I WANT TO BE IN LIFE.
6. Andrew Keegan is a face we never forget, yet never remember.
7. Heath Ledger! RIP 😭
8. “You don’t buy black lingerie unless you want someone to see it.” —Bianca. Well, I buy black lingerie so I don’t get period stains on them.
9. "Dad style" has not changed.
10. The sonnet scene is cringe and not romantic whatsoever.
Honorable Mentions and Thoughts
1. Their dad has the best quotes: “Kissing doesn’t keep me elbow-deep in placenta all day long.”
2. Prom dress ranking: Bianca 10/10 and Kat 8/10. Was prom really that big of a deal in the '90s?
3. Why was that okay for Kat to flash the detention guy?
4. Not Another Teen Movie has a band scene that makes so much more sense now. I like that version better.