Friends, I hate that I have to be the one to issue this warning, but please please please do NOT put foil in the microwave. It will catch fire and a bunch of bad things could happen.
We have had to go over a few things in 2018 already: Tide Pods are for the washing machine (not the mouth); condoms are for the penis or penis-shaped object (not the mouth); and now – because of a bunch of dumb tweets about making foil shiny, we're at a point where we have to be reminded not to roll foil up into a ball and chuck it into the microwave. Also, don't put foil in your mouth.
It all comes after a few tweets went viral claiming to transform foil in the microwave.
The photos are actually from a story out of Japan in March. Japanese Twitter user @Asu_Astell made a foil ball and then used a hammer and sandpaper to create the shiny thing you'll see all over Twitter. The tweet has almost 100,000 retweets and was part of a larger phenomenon that had people across the world trying out the trick.
For the record, here's how he told BuzzFeed News he did it:
1. Using your hands, create a rough sphere with aluminium foil.
2. Use a rubber hammer to shape it into a more exact sphere.
3. Hammer the ball for about two hours. Once the ball’s hard enough, use a hammer to shape again.
4. Polish the ball with coarse sandpaper, and then with fine sandpaper.
5. Put liquid abrasive on a dry cloth to gently polish the ball.