On Thursday morning prime minister Malcolm Turnbull unveiled new stricter conditions on becoming an Australian citizen.
The sudden discussion about "Australian values" left many Aussies wondering what the term really meant. Turnbull recalled the apparent Australian value of an "enormous reservoir of good sense."
"We know that our values of mutual respect, democracy, freedom, rule of law, those values, a fair go – they are fundamental Australian values," he said.
1. Shortly after the Turnbull press conference Australians on social media made some serious suggestions.
2. There was plenty about housing affordability.
4. And Aussie food rituals.
9. But there was also a lot of criticism reserved for the federal government – Greens leader Richard Di Natale got in on the act.
14. Australia's less-than-ideal reputation for subtle racism was also mentioned.
15. As was the treatment of the nation's Indigenous people.
16. And some people just listed out everything they could think of that fit into 140 characters.
Brad Esposito is a news reporter for BuzzFeed and is based in Sydney, Australia.
Contact Brad Esposito at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.