1. The Doors - “A Feast Of Friends.”
“Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as ravens claws.”
Can you imagine how badass you’d look as your coffin descends to this groovy track? I mean, you’d be dead - but still.
2. Joy Division - “Atmosphere.”
“Don’t walk away. In silence.”
I mean COME ON. How could you not?
3. Perfume Genius - “Dark Parts.”
“I will take the dark part of your heart into my heart.”
4. Elliot Smith - “Happiness”
It was so hard to pick ONE Elliot Smith song. But this one has to take the cake just because of these lyrics:
“What I used to be will pass away and then you’ll see,
that all I want now is happiness for you and me.”
Plus it’s one of Elliott’s more upbeat songs, for those that don’t want a COMPLETELY depressing funeral.
Shame on you.
5. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - “Into My Arms”
That piano and that voice. Nothing more solemn. But ultimately the song is perfect because of these lines:
“So keep your candles burning
Make her journey bright and pure
That she’ll keep returning
Always and evermore”
Extra brownie points if you project this super sad music video as well.
6. Julian Casablancas - “I’ll Try Anything Once - Demo”
This one not so much for the lyrics but because of Julian Casablanca’s super soothing voice and the elegant keyboard in the background…and when he clicks. Oh his clicks…
7. The Cinematic Orchestra feat. Patrick Watson - “To Build A Home”
YES I KNOW EVERYONE KNOWS THIS SONG AND IT’S BEEN USED A LOT BUT SHUTUP IT’S BEAUTIFUL SO SHUTUP.
8. Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
What funeral would be complete without a song from this lovely duo? Personally I like Paul Simon’s voice more so Bridge Over Troubled Water is what I’ll have playing. AND YOU WILL TOO IF YOU KNOW WHAT’S GOOD FOR YOU
“When darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.”
9. Nick Drake - “Day is Done”
When I hear this song it makes me think about how pathetic my life has been. So, of course, it’s a necessity at a funeral.
“When the party’s through
Seems so very sad for you
Didn’t do the things you meant to do
Now there’s no time to start anew
Now the party’s through. “
10. Rick Astley - “Never Gonna Give You Up”
CAN YOU IMAGINE? All is quiet as the priest finishes his words and your sobbing mother/father/daughter/son/boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife takes the stage:
“My little angel wanted to make sure this was played at their funeral. I don’t know what it is…but here we go. I’m doin’ this for you, baby.”
THREE MINUTES AND 33 SECONDS OF RICK ASTLEY HUMMING THROUGH THE CHURCH HALL.
And the best part is…no one will ever be able to Rick Roll you back…
- It's the third day of the Democratic National Convention. Here's where things stand 🇺🇸
- Prosecutors have dropped remaining charges against Baltimore police officers related to the death of Freddie Gray.
- Twelve states will support Obama's transgender policies in court after other states sued to block the rules.