6 Hidden Surprises In The New Dreamworks Short "Almost Home"
Because finding a safe planet is harder than it looks.
Meet the Boov -- cute little squid-like aliens that are searching for a safe place to live...
...in the new DreamWorks animated short Almost Home.
Now that you've seen it, here are some details you might not have noticed...
1. Steve Martin ad-libbed many lines in the short.
2. Ernie's red suit is a reference to the red-shirted away team guys on Star Trek.
3. The creature that swoops in on the second planet is a Nadder dragon's foot from How to Train Your Dragon 2.
4. The giant fish seems to have a mental link with the Boov underneath.
5. The giant worm's roar is made up of a turkey gobble, a yodel, and a pinch of lion.
6. The DreamWorks team created several planets that did not appear up close in the final short. Such as...
The Electricity Planet:
The Thorny Planet:
The Ice Planet:
The Fire-Breathing Butterflies Planet:
And, of course, a planet whose sole purpose is to punch you below the belt:
All images courtesy of DreamWorks.