1. Because classes were not interesting
For many students, the material in the classes they’re taking seem so far removed from daily life that it’s hard to see the point. Many say this is one primary reason they decide to leave school before graduation.
2. Not motivated
Beyond not connecting with the material, many students aren’t given the encouragement and support they need to feel motivated to study and learn. Without motivation — and with plenty of other pressures pushing in — they lose the focus school requires.
3. Got a job
The need to work while attending school is an unavoidable reality for many students, and once the job’s requirement for hours starts making attendance at school difficult, the job often wins.
4. Became a parent
Being a parent is a job in itself — and for many students in high school with children, it’s impossible to reconcile having kids with getting a degree.
5. To care for a family member
Like raising a child, taking care of a sick or aging relative is a big job, and one that sadly can make life difficult for even the most dedicated potential graduates.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists say they've discovered an eighth continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat and the exchange was ~confusing~.
Report an Issue
Drag to highlight one or more parts of the screen.
We got your feedback, and we'll follow up with you at
Sadly, an error occured while sending your feedback. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.