1. Finish a first draft of a writing project.
2. Get used to the idea that you’ll be working your butt off.
3. Writing can be lonely. Surround yourself with like-minded writers.
4. Get feedback from a complete stranger and take the negative with the positive. Take a deep breath & keep writing.
5. Find a mentor who really believes in you.
6. Take a writing workshop with your favorite author and be cool about it.
7. Write a horrible ex into your book.
8. Grow a thick skin and learn to tune out the naysayers.
9. Celebrate your successes. Always.
10. Get paid for writing at least once. Take pride in it.
11. Believe in yourself. If you don’t, no one else will. Don't ever forget: You rock!
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!