1. Basic: Peanut Butter and Chocolate
2. Basic: Bacon and Maple
3. Basic: Salt and Caramel
Adding a little bitter brings out the best in caramel's sweetness.
4. Intermediate: Watermelon and Feta
5. Intermediate: Egg and Coconut
6. Intermediate: Honey and Ricotta
This pairing's a foundation for both appetizers and desserts, whether mixed with fruits or into a cheesecake.
7. Intermediate: Melon and Prosciutto
8. Intermediate: Basil and Cloves
The herb and the spice both share a chemical called eugenol, so some chefs add ground cloves to their pesto to enhance basil flavors.
9. Advanced: Melon and Chili
10. Advanced: Strawberries and Gruyère
It tastes best when the cheese is melted, but the nutty and savory cheese pairs well with the sweet.
11. Advanced: Dark Chocolate and Parmesan
12. Advanced: White Chocolate and Caviar
13. Advanced: Pineapple and Vanilla
This pairing mostly ends up in desserts designed to satisfy any sweet tooth.