4. Celaena Sardothien
Celaena is an assassin, which makes her pretty darn cool, but she goes up against other assassins in a tournament for assassins to win her freedom! She’s also got a sword. Swords are cool.
5. Jo March
Jo turns down perfectly good marriage proposals because it’s not right for her, manages not to kill Amy (the most patience-testing of the Marches), and makes the boldest of fashion statements with a cropped haircut years before it was the thing.
Throwing shade before shade was being thrown.
Eowyn’s pretty cool to start with, all feisty and independent but she comes into her own when she sneaks into a battle to save mankind after being told to stay at home and knit (or the Middle Earth equivalent), and ends up being the secret weapon they didn’t know they needed! No man indeed!
16. Paige Mahoney from The Bone Season
Cynical Paige is part of London’s criminal underground, an illegal clairvoyant who spends her time hacking people’s brains until her luck runs out and she’s arrested. When her entire existence is a crime, Paige’s strength and nerve are to be applauded.
20. Elizabeth Bennett
She runs people, runs through fields and muddies her hem! She refuses marriage proposals from slimy members of the clergy in the days when being a vicars wife was pretty darn near the dream for girls of her breeding! And she brushes off the hate… Miss Bennett, you rock!
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- At least nine people have been killed after a fire broke out during a warehouse party late Friday night in Oakland, California.
- BuzzFeed News analyzed all the links in Donald Trump's tweets to determine where the president-elect gets his news 📰❗️
- "I'm 21 so you can have it back!" This 23-year-old got her lost ID back in the mail, along with a hilarious thank you note 💌😂