1. Let’s get this out of the way first
2. Octopuses can fit into small spaces
For a vast majority of octopuses, the only hard part of their body is their beak. This allows them to contort and fit their bodies into small spaces to avoid predators. The can also shrink or augment skin pigmentation to change color.
3. Mating kills them
Well, not immediately, but males only live for a few months after dating, and females die shortly after their eggs hatch. Octopuses are genetically programmed for this, killed by endocrine secretions from their optic glands. Ironically, octopuses have three hearts.
4. In the UK, octopuses are “honorary vertebrae”
Because they have highly complex nervous systems, animal cruelty legislation affords them certain rights that other invertebrates may not receive. In some countries, it is illegal to perform surgery on an octopus without anesthesia.
5. They have a ton of defensive options
The primary defense tactics an octopus uses is to hide or run. They can also resort to spraying ink, camouflaging themselves, or cutting off their own limbs.
6. Octopuses are aliens
At least, according to the Hawaiian creation myth, they are. The theory is that our universe is only the most recent in a series. Octopuses are the lone survivors of that previous alien universe.
7. Octopuses are a delicacy
Octopuses are a common ingredient in Japanese food. Alternatively, I don’t think Spain will be eating a lot of paella over the next four years.
8. Octopus Wrestling is a real sport
It’s exactly what you think it is: A man grappling with an octopus.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- DNC Day 2: Bill Clinton took the crowd down memory lane, and then Hillary broke through a virtual glass ceiling 💥
- An Australian teen who was subjected to detention abuse has written a letter thanking the public for its support.
- 🍎📉: Apple's business is declining due to slowing iPhone sales, but the company is still making a ton of money.
Report an Issue
Drag to highlight one or more parts of the screen.
We got your feedback, and we'll follow up with you at
Sadly, an error occured while sending your feedback. Please contact email@example.com to let us know.