1. Rajiv Gandhi
Gandhi was assassinated in 1991 when a suicide bomber for the Tamil Tigers knelt down at his feet and detonated a bomb. A freelance photographer named Haribabu was documenting the event and was killed in the blast. On the left, the woman in orange is the bomber approaching Gandhi, and on the right, is a photo taken during the detonation.
3. Pope John Paul II
Pope John Paul II lies injured in his jeep in St. Peter’s Square after being shot by Turkish gunman Mehmet Ali Agca in this May 1981 file photo.
10. Queen Elizabeth II
Marcus Sarjeant takes aim at Queen Elizabeth at a Trooping the Colour ceremony in 1981. He only fired blanks and was sentenced to five years in prison.
This photo was taken by George Uebel, a tourist also observing the ceremony, and played a central part in Sarjeant’s prosecution.
13. Ninoy Aquino, Filipino politician
Airport security officer’s load Ninoy Aquino’s body onto a truck following his assassination in 1983. He was killed by Rolando Galman, a lone gunman, although conspiracy theories persist to this day about whether someone more powerful ordered the attack.
16. King Alexander I of Yugoslavia
Alexander was shot at close range by Vlado Chernozemski, a disgruntled Bulgarian, while the King was visiting Marseilles. He was quickly taken down immediately after the shooting. Alexander’s assassination was one of the first captured on film.
18. Anton Cermak, Chicago politician
On February 15, 1933, Cermak was shot by Giuseppe Zangara, although it is believed that Zangara was actually aiming for FDR, who was visiting Miami that day. Cermak died a few weeks later, in part due to the gunshot wound he sustained.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- From water jugs and dehydrated food, to faraday cages and unregistered vehicles, liberals are prepping for Trump's presidency.
- Federal agencies have put on a fireworks finale for the Obama administration, suing JP Morgan, Oracle, Fiat Chrysler, and Navient.
- Former Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue will be nominated as Trump's secretary of agriculture, the final cabinet position to be selected.
- Been wondering why your friends now look like weird glamorous cartoons? This Chinese selfie app is why. Say cheese 📸