You will arrive in Washington, D.C. feeling like this:
…you’ll realize this internship might not be as glamorous as the website said.
3. Immediately you are handed a gigantic badge designating you as an INTERN.
4. You’ll quickly have a painful realization that all those tough questions you were asked in your interview were jokes:
Or if you’re a woman, you might need to visit an Ann Taylor, STAT.
8. And you’ll be asked to do work by hand that could easily be done by a trained hedgehog with an Excel spreadsheet.
9. You’ll work with technology that is older than your high school diploma.
When you do something really, really great… you might not get all the credit for it.
Your boss’s job description:
17. You’ll have to deal with that old mid-level staff member who is always hitting on you.
18. You’ll have to talk to other interns.
And maybe work next to that really old, awkward intern.
21. You’ll be sent out to the National Mall in 120% humidity to reserve a softball field for your office team THAT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY ON.
(Bring a book. You will be sitting there for two hours.)
22. And you’ll have to ask your parents for ANOTHER loan so you can buy the $7 happy hour beer.
You’ll realize that you had to sit and reserve a softball field as a part of your internship:
23. And you’ll go into work hungover the next day:
24. When your manager finds you cruising Facebook, Twitter, BuzzFeed….
What they don’t know is this has been going on for three hours.
…you just resort to this:
25. You will have to sit and take notes through hours of mind-numbingly boring panels and hearings that you truly know nothing about.
27. And you’ll have to deal with people who are making six figures, telling you that a D.C. internship is “priceless” and more valuable than a college education.
When you would much rather say:
ALWAYS REMEMBER: Your boss was once an unpaid intern.
And if you don’t get a job at least you got a cool picture out of it.
To find out more about D.C.’s intern policy, please read: Why Won’t Obama Pay His Interns?
- One person died and more than 100 others were injured after a commuter train crashed into a New Jersey Transit station in Hoboken.
- Fans of Donald Trump say Bill Clinton's past indiscretions are fair game at the next debate.
- Asos workers at the heart of its global retail empire say they're being treated like machines to deliver fast fashion.