This post has been corrected to remove phrasing that was copied from The Hill.
BuzzFeed takes its responsibility to readers very seriously, and plagiarism is a major breach of that responsibility. Please read our apology to readers here.
Obama had promised to end Bush’s hawkish foreign policy and the “war on terror’s” detention and interrogation regime.
But in the beginning of his fifth year as president, Obama’s record has been surprisingly similar to his predecessor’s in those areas.
1. Democrats fought George W. Bush’s troop surge in Iraq in 2006.
Obama copied it in Afghanistan in 2009.
2. American deaths in Afghanistan have skyrocketed since Obama took office.
Actually, the death tolls in Afghanistan under each administration look like this:
3. President Obama’s drones and special operators are working down “kill lists” of suspected terrorists.
4. Drone attacks have risen sharply under Obama.
Pakistani civilian casualties due to these strikes are as high as 800 according to international estimates.
6. Obama promised to end the Bush-era torture interrogation practices.
But last year, three U.N. reports described the torture occurring in Afghan facilities under Obama’s security watch.
7. Obama was unable to deliver on his pledge to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center, which Bush had also said he would close.
“We may not be so different, you and I.”
- The Democratic National Convention kicks off today and it's already off to a rocky start. Here's what you need to know 🇺🇸🔔
- Two people were killed and at least 16 others were injured in a shooting outside a nightclub in Fort Myers, Florida.
- Verizon is buying Yahoo's core business for about $5 billion, ending the web pioneer's run as an independent company.