This post has been corrected to properly attribute phrasing that was copied from a press release produced by Rep. Sam Johnson’s office.
BuzzFeed takes its responsibility to readers very seriously, and plagiarism is a major breach of that responsibility. Please read our apology to readers here.
2. This is Congressman Sam Johnson from Texas.
4. Johnson flew 87 combat missions during the Korean and Vietnam wars.
6. He was a prisoner of war for seven years.
13. After seven years of torture, Sam finally did come home. This is the first moment they saw each other after all that time.
14. Sam was awarded two Silver Stars, two Legions of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross, one Bronze Star with Valor, two Purple Hearts, four Air Medals, and three Outstanding Unit Awards.
15. He wrote a book about the unbelievable experience.
16. Johnson told BuzzFeed this today: “Shirley is the real hero.”
“Shirley Johnson, my high school sweetheart, has forever been the love of my life. During my seven years as a POW in Hanoi, Vietnam, she never once gave up on me. She never stopped caring, praying, and loving. Her courage and strength held my family together in some of the darkest days of our lives. Some people have called me an American hero, but all I can say, is that Shirley is the real hero. My beautiful wife truly is my better half, and I am just as in love with her today as I was when I first married her nearly 63 years ago.”
19. Here is Shirley and Sam visiting the prison where he was kept and tortured, while she waited for him.
- It's Day 2 of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. Here's what you need to know.
- Three Qaddafi henchmen who are wanted for embezzling millions from Libya have been found living comfortably in Britain.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a church attack that killed a priest in northern France on Tuesday.