This post has been corrected to remove phrasing that was copied from The Catholic News Herald and the Boston Globe. While there are two bylines on this post, the issue is limited to the content added by Benny Johnson.
BuzzFeed takes its responsibility to readers very seriously, and plagiarism is a major breach of that responsibility. Please read our apology to readers here.
2. For years as Archbishop, Pope Francis celebrated a feet-washing mass, which commemorates Christ’s washing of the disciples feet at the Last Supper.
Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio humbled himself before of a shelter for drug users during Holy Thursday Mass in 2008
3. Francis is continuing this tradition now that he is Pope and has decided to continue the practice at a youth prison in Rome.
4. Thursday afternoon, 12 inmates were selected to have their feet washed and kissed by the Holy Father.
6. …dried it with a simple cotton towel…
9. Two young women were among the 12.
10. According to news reports, Orthodox, Muslim and North African detainees were also included in the 12 as well as a man with tattoos on his feet.
11. Pope Francis told the prisoners: “This is a symbol, it is a sign — washing your feet means I am at your service.”
The Pope continued: “Help one another. This is what Jesus teaches us. This is what I do. And I do it with my heart. I do this with my heart because it is my duty, as a priest and bishop I must be at your service.”
12. Previous popes have conducted the ritual, but only on other priests.
13. “Don’t lose hope,” Francis told the prisoners “With hope you can always go on.”
- Hillary Clinton made her debut with VP pick Tim Kaine, who dipped into Spanish and spoke on support for immigration reform and gun control.
- The gunman who killed at least 10 people at a Munich, Germany mall on Friday was an 18-year-old "obsessed" with mass shootings, police said.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed at least 80 people in Afghanistan Saturday.