1. Eric Cantor was a really popular guy in the House.
He was majority leader, meaning he was second most powerful GOP member.
2. But this year, a primary opponent landed in Cantor’s home district.
The Virginia 7th.
3. His name was Dave Brat and he was from the tea party.
4. Brat did not like the way Cantor was running things in Congress.
6. One of Brat’s main criticisms was that Cantor was soft on immigration; he accused him of being pro-amnesty for undocumented immigrants.
7. Brat did win some endorsements from big conservative names like Glenn Beck and Laura Ingram.
10. It is clear that the Cantor campaign did not take Brat seriously all the way up to the election day.
11. But on election day, Brat showed impressive ground game.
12. And by the end of the day, Brat had defeated Cantor by 10 points.
13. Now Cantor is resigning from his leadership position in the House.
14. And the tea party has a new star.
15. Guess that’s just politics.
16. Welcome to Congress.
- Palantir, one of the most secretive companies in Silicon Valley, is grappling with a wave of staff departures and the loss of key clients.
- U.S. foreign policy figures are raising concerns about a close Trump aide's ties to allies of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- And Labour's Sadiq Khan is London's newly elected mayor. He's the first Muslim to lead a major European capital city.