1. Eric Cantor was a really popular guy in the House.
He was majority leader, meaning he was second most powerful GOP member.
2. But this year, a primary opponent landed in Cantor’s home district.
The Virginia 7th.
3. His name was Dave Brat and he was from the tea party.
4. Brat did not like the way Cantor was running things in Congress.
6. One of Brat’s main criticisms was that Cantor was soft on immigration; he accused him of being pro-amnesty for undocumented immigrants.
7. Brat did win some endorsements from big conservative names like Glenn Beck and Laura Ingram.
10. It is clear that the Cantor campaign did not take Brat seriously all the way up to the election day.
11. But on election day, Brat showed impressive ground game.
12. And by the end of the day, Brat had defeated Cantor by 10 points.
13. Now Cantor is resigning from his leadership position in the House.
14. And the tea party has a new star.
15. Guess that’s just politics.
16. Welcome to Congress.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- A Kansas man shot three people after allegedly yelling "get out of my country." He believed two of the victims were Middle Eastern, however they were not.
- The substance used to assassinate the half-brother of North Korea's leader has been identified as VX nerve agent, a chemical listed as a weapon of mass destruction.
- Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords told Congress to "face your constituents," after a congressman used her 2011 shooting as justification for not holding a town hall.