1. Eric Cantor was a really popular guy in the House.
He was majority leader, meaning he was second most powerful GOP member.
2. But this year, a primary opponent landed in Cantor’s home district.
The Virginia 7th.
3. His name was Dave Brat and he was from the tea party.
4. Brat did not like the way Cantor was running things in Congress.
6. One of Brat’s main criticisms was that Cantor was soft on immigration; he accused him of being pro-amnesty for undocumented immigrants.
7. Brat did win some endorsements from big conservative names like Glenn Beck and Laura Ingram.
10. It is clear that the Cantor campaign did not take Brat seriously all the way up to the election day.
11. But on election day, Brat showed impressive ground game.
12. And by the end of the day, Brat had defeated Cantor by 10 points.
13. Now Cantor is resigning from his leadership position in the House.
14. And the tea party has a new star.
15. Guess that’s just politics.
16. Welcome to Congress.
- Athletes probably won't break records at the Rio Olympics. Scientists say most top performers have reached the limits of human biology.
- Bernie Sanders' former press secretary says she experienced repeated incidents of blatant racism while on the campaign trail.
- Sixteen people died after a hot air balloon caught fire and crashed in Texas Saturday.