1. You may have heard that many monuments in D.C. are temporarily shuttered due to the government shutdown.
2. And popular sites, like the Lincoln Memorial, are heavily guarded.
3. And ugly barricades are blocking some visible aspects of the monument, including these three that are situated right in front of the Lincoln statue.
4. The problem is, anyone trying to take a picture of the monument will have those damn barricades ruining the photo.
5. But one man decided to change all that today. This is a staffer for Montana congressman Steve Daines.
6. He called over the police lieutenant in charge and explained the plight of the tourists.
8. …and he ordered his men to move the gates!
9. And the tourists snapped photos and cheered!
12. A clean Lincoln Memorial again!
- Some Bernie-or-Busters protested Hillary Clinton's DNC speech, but a tightly organized plan — from chants to secret allies — kept heckling off TV.
- Sixteen people are reported dead after a hot air balloon crashed in Texas.
- Two brothers suspected of planning terror attacks have been arrested in Belgium, prosecutors say.