BuzzFeed asked George H.W. Bush what rules he uses in picking out his socks for the day.
His response is printed in full below, with our own added illustrations.
2. “Assess the prevailing mood.”
“…like a catchy tune or a post-convention bounce in the polls.”
3. “When the thermometer dips, thread count matters.”
“It is a little known scientific fact that freezing your tail off actually starts in the toes.”
“…can be an unsettling sight for many.”
“Sunday church calls for a more muted, sober offering.”
“Lunch with friends…”
6. “Do your own thing.”
“When friends discover your fondness for feisty footwear, they will question your taste…”
“…and possibly even your soundness of mind.”
8. “Let the socks do all the talking.”
9. “If you are going anywhere with Barbara Bush, don’t worry about the socks…”
“…because you’ll already be the luckiest guy in the world.”
- U.S. presidential candidate Ted Cruz ended his campaign after losing Indiana's primary to Donald Trump. Bernie Sanders won on the Democratic side.
- A massive wildfire is threatening the capital of Canada's oilsands industry, and tens of thousands of people have been ordered to evacuate.
- Smash hit "Hamilton" received 16 Tony Award nominations, breaking the record held by "The Producers" and "Billy Elliot."