This post has been corrected to remove phrasing that was copied from a U.S. Senate website, which should have also been cited as the source for almost all of the information in this piece.
BuzzFeed takes its responsibility to readers very seriously, and plagiarism is a major breach of that responsibility. Please read our apology to readers here.
1. George Washington was the first and last President to be inaugurated in New York City.
2. Jefferson walked to and from his inauguration.
5. President Harrison had a long winded inaugural address (10,000 words).
6. John Tyler was the first vice president to be inaugurated due to the death of his long winded boss.
7. James Polk had the first known newspaper illustration of a presidential inauguration in 1845.
Compliments of the Illustrated London News
8. Abe Lincoln had the first African-Americans participate in his inaugural parade.
9. James Garfield had his mom attend his Inauguration, a first for a president.
10. William McKinley had the first inaugural recorded by movie camera, in 1897.
11. Teddy Roosevelt had telephones installed on the Capitol grounds for his inaugural, so reporters could bask in its glory.
12. Taft rode with his wife in the procession from the Capitol to the White House, a presidential first.
13. Wilson’s was the first time that women were part of the inaugural parade.
14. Harding was the first president to drive to and from the ceremony.
15. Coolidge had the first inaugural carried on the airwaves.
First Inaugural ceremony broadcast nationally by radio
17. FDR was sworn in on a Bible written in a foreign language: Dutch.
18. FDR’s inaugural in 1945 had no parade because of gas rationing.
19. Eisenhower was the first President lassoed by a cowboy at his Inauguration. He was very mad about it.
20. JFK’s inauguration was the first time a poet recited. That poet was Robert Frost.
21. Reagan’s first Inauguration was also the warmest ever.
22. Reagan’s second Inauguration was the coldest.
24. Obama’s first inauguration holds the record for being the biggest event in the history of Washington, DC.
- Nope, President Donald Trump will not release his tax returns after an IRS audit, the White House says, despite pledging to do so.
- "Welcome to the movement": Organizers of the Women's March on Washington are now working tirelessly to make sure 1st-time marchers stick around ✊
- Kellyanne Conway says White House press sec. Sean Spicer didn't lie about crowd size at Trump's inauguration. He gave "alternative facts."
- Aziz Ansari has made history as the first South Asian to host 'SNL.' In his monologue, he called Trump "the Chris Brown of politics."