35 Stylish Things For First Day Of School Level Of Extravagance
I can't be the only one who planned their first-day-back outfit weeks in advance.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A tulle skirt, because who doesn't want to re-create Carrie Bradshaw's iconic tutu and pumps look???
Promising review: "This is a great evening/party attire for plus-sized women. This is a great a-line circle skirt. I bought the black version for a holiday party. I got many compliments. I’m a size 18 and bought the 3X. It fit perfectly, and hit me just below the knee and had excellent poof!" —Margeaux Chavez
Get it from Amazon for $23.99+ (available in sizes XS–5X and in 37 colors).
2. A silky-looking top with a variety of fun and extravagant patterns that'll be your exact style.
Also check out this listing for even more patterns!
Promising review: "I love this shirt so much that words fail me. I love this shirt so much that I bought three more. (Sort out your size using the seller's guide, not the Amazon guide, and you'll be just fine.)" —Mlle Badger
Get it from Amazon for $22.98+ (available in sizes 2–14 and 45 patterns).
3. A shift dress with lacy sleeves that would make even a doily envious.
4. An activewear set you can mix and match with other pieces, but personally I'm all about that monochrome look!
Promising review: "I was skeptical at first but when I put this on...yassss!! The fabric felt nice and the stretch was perfect. Fit me like a glove and the top was perfect. I was very pleased and got many compliments on my trip to the Bahamas. Color was bright. Beautiful. I wore it with a long sarong scarf to get a more sexy/dressy look." —Review 4 U
Get it from Amazon for $12.99 (available in sizes S–XL and 20 colors).
5. A twisted peplum top great for work, date night, or just looking fab while hanging at home.
Promising review: "To be honest I didn't have very high hopes for a shirt this inexpensive. But at that price point I also figured that I didn't have much to lose. I'm busty and have tattoos on my shoulders so finding cute comfortable clothing that's appropriate for work and doesn't cost a fortune can be a challenge. This shirt looks exactly like an Elloquii one I've been eyeing for a awhile but at a fraction of the price. I'll probably get the other colors as well!" —Arden Bee
Get it from Amazon for $23.99+ (available in sizes 1X–4X and three colors).
6. An elegant off-the-shoulder maxi dress with a wonderful shimmer that'll give you an extravagant look that could rival that of a bird-of-paradise.
Promising review: "This is THE dress. You wear this dress, all eyes will be on you. Like others said, no bra needed, and the arms weren't slowly moving up all night; I never had to re-adjust. I wore this to a black tie gala and it stood out among the regular black gowns. The color is stunning! Every time I turned around, someone was giving me a compliment on the dress. I belted it to help give it shape and it was perfection. I can't say enough about this gown!" —Atlanta Chic
Get it from Amazon for $35.99+ (available in sizes XS–XL and four colors).
7. Huarache sandals in a variety of bright colors offering both comfort and style, the two most important things when it comes to getting dressed.
Macarena Collection is a small business based in Buena Park, California. All of the shoes are handmade by Mexican artisans. Since they only make whole sizes, they suggest sizing down if you're in between as the shoes will stretch and mold to your feet as you wear them.
9. A romantic puff-sleeve pastel maxi dress perfect for promenades through the garden.
Some reviewers also styled it with the sleeves worn off the shoulder, and several reviewers say it worked as maternity wear, too!
Promising review: "Ethereally beautiful!! This dress is absolutely LOVELY. It’s so lightweight, breezy, and comfortable. It fits perfectly, and the bodice has plenty of stretch so if you’re in between sizes, you could go either way. I actually sized down because I wanted to wear it on the shoulders and didn’t want the sleeves slipping off, but I didn’t have an issue with that at all. It’s wrinkly when it arrives, but a quick steam makes it look so much nicer and more expensive than it is. I got the sage green color and it’s not see through, it’s beautiful. Get this dress!" —Laura
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in sizes XS–XL and in 15 colors).
12. A wrap maxi that's already lounging in a beach chair in your backyard.
Promising review: "Another win for this brand! This dress is gorgeous. It looks and feels MUCH more expensive than it is. I buy (and return) a ton of clothes from Amazon, so I know how much of a gamble it can be to order. Don’t hesitate on this one. It fits perfectly to size, and I love that the wrap front is high enough that I don’t have to wear a tank under it. I am pretty modest when it comes to showing cleavage, and this dress fits the bill. The fabric is very soft and light — I will wear it spring through fall here in North Carolina. The dress is casual enough to wear with flat sandals for shopping, but you can easily dress it up with heels for a dinner date." —R. Walker
Get it from Amazon for $25.68+ (available in sizes 1X–4X and 12 patterns).
14. A big, flowy maxi dress that'll look just a good on the beach as it would lounging on the couch.
15. A two-piece midi set that comes in a ton of cool tie-dye patterns, plus solid colors AND the adorable tropical look shown below. In other words, you'll wanna buy like five of these sets.
Promising review: "I love a matching set because it takes most of the work out of putting an outfit together. And this one is such a great deal! I love how comfy and easy it is to wear. I was concerned about it being see-through, but it wasn't! It has a stretchy waist and a cute tie detail in the front of the skirt. For spring days, I just throw a denim jacket over it. And, of course, I plan to wear it all summer as well. I would 100% buy more colors in this — and there are so many to choose from!" —Kayla Boyd, BuzzFeed Staff
Get it from Amazon for $18+ (available in 36 styles, and sizes XL–5XL).
16. High-waisted palazzo trousers that offers all the comfort of pajamas while still serving up major voted-best-dressed-in-high-school looks.
Promising review: "These pants as so comfortable and flowy! I stepped outside of my usual skinny jean outfit to try this style and I never want to take them off! They are great casual pants for work, and can be dressed up for the evening with a fancy shirt and heels. They are as comfortable as pajamas, without looking like it :)" —Nash
Get them from Amazon for $23.18+ (available in sizes XS–3XL and 25 colors).
17. A pair of trendy heart sunnies to make any outfit feel retro and fun.
Promising review: "Okay so you know when you buy something and read reviews that say they got tons of compliments and it's usually not true? For once, it is! I get SOOO many compliments on these glasses! I have what I consider to be an odd face shape and have a difficult time finding frames that work for me, but I feel so fab in these glasses." —Amanda
Get them from Amazon for $11.99 (available in 12 colors).
18. A buttery smooth velvet tank you can trick people into thinking cost a lot more than it did.
Promising review: "Absolutely incredible value for this super-soft cami! The velvet stretch is perfect for a looser fit. Surprisingly very well-made, I've seen versions of this camisole at Nordstrom for over $30! Such a good price, I'm stocking up now!" —Julie K.
Get it from Amazon for $8.99+ (available in sizes XS–XXL and 13 colors).
21. A floral cardigan-like top to throw on and instantly make your shirt-and-jean outfit more interesting.
Promising review: "This is gorgeous and vibrant in color, and every time I wear it, I get stopped on the street by strangers complimenting me and asking where I bought it. So far I've worn it with dressy shorts and wedges with a cute tank AND I even wore it to a pool party as a cover up!! It truly is a great addition to my closet. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!" —Ang G
Get it from Amazon for $9.99+ (available in sizes S–5XL and 23 patterns).
22. A retro swing skirt in a ton of different fun patterns so you might as well get one of each.
Promising review: "This skirt was awesome! My wife wore this skirt to Disneyland and received so, so, so many compliments. She wore it with two petticoats for poof. Great purchase — she wants all the prints now." —Christopher Luth
Get it from Amazon for $16.99+ (available in sizes XS–3XL and 45 colors).
24. A high-waisted pleated maxi skirt that is a must-have for any aspiring influencer's wardrobe. It even has pockets!
Promising review: "The skirt has beautiful pleating and falls in a very flattering way. I love the elastic waistband and pockets! The material is light and airy. It can easily be worn in colder months with another skirt under it or as is in the warmer months so it's perfect all year long. I highly recommend this skirt." —PB
Get it from Amazon for $28.89+ (available in sizes S—XXL and eight colors).
25. Eye-popping Betsey Johnson wedges that has it all: pastels, florals, mixed materials, you name it. Your wardrobe is not complete without at least one bold shoe choice.
Promising review: "I just bought these and I am irrationally (?) excited about them, in case you couldn't tell. As someone who doesn't wear leather for ethical reasons, Betsey Johnson is my holy grail for swoon-worthy statement shoes that could pass for an even splurgier designer brand. They also just fit me so well and are really wearable IRL, even if they're wild! I haven't worn this particular pair yet, but I'm so excited to, particularly with boyfriend jeans and eventually sundresses or rompers. No, they are not walking shoes, but I think I can handle the heel. I haven't worn wedges in ages, but I feel like they're coming back in style and these have single-handedly (footedly?) gotten me back on board with them." —Katy Herman, BuzzFeed Staff
Get them from Macy's for $79 (available in sizes 5–11 and in two colors).
28. A wrap skater dress that looks comfy enough to just wear at home. Not that you will, of course. Too many adventures await!
Promising review: "Purchased this dress to wear for Easter and I've got to say I'm impressed! The blue is a beautiful, vibrant hue; fabric is nice, thick quality. The length hit just below my knees so not way too long for us petite ladies. Best part? Loved it and thinking about buying it in another color!" —RACHEL
Get it from Amazon for $19.99+ (available in sizes S–XXL and 23 patterns).
29. A lantern sleeve mini that says "Cinderella on a casual day" to me. Just look at those romantic puff sleeves and back ribbon that was definitely tied by birds!
31. A satin spaghetti strap dress when you wanna add just a touch of Jessica Rabbit to your look.
32. A splurge-y organza T-shirt dress that's made to order, meaning it's tailored to your exact measurements. The shimmery layered fabric, embroidered sea life, and painted details will make you look like you just popped out of a copy of The Rainbow Fish.
33. An open-back maxi dress that says "why yes, I AM the best dressed person here."
Promising review: "I have been wanting this same dress from Free People but it was $118. I was leery about this considering it was much cheaper in cost but it is PERFECT! It fit absolutely perfect. Great length too. Keep in mind you can't wear a bra with it and if you are larger-busted (I'm small, an A cup) then it may fit totally different. It's thin and lightweight but with skin-colored undies, I had no problem with lines or visibility. I'm considering buying it in another color." —Bullitt02797
Get it from Amazon for $31.99+ (available in sizes S–XL and 24 colors).