33 Problem-Solving Beauty Products For All Your Hair Concerns
All your hair problems are about to go *poof.*
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A bottle of Sun Bum's cruelty-free heat protector so you can go ahead and use that straightener without worrying that you're *completely* frying your hair.
2. A hair finishing stick to smoosh down all those annoying flyaways that escaped your bun.
3. Or an edge control gel that'll help lay edges and baby hairs for a sleek look without the unwanted flaking and residue.
BUT we want to add that no one should feel pressure to lay their edges, unless they way want to! Check out "Just A Friendly PSA That You Don't HAVE To Lay Your Edges Down If You Don't Wanna."
Promising review: "Hands down! The best edge control I have ever used and I have used a lot of them. Stayed all day! No flakes and non greasy! And this one is not even the strongest in the line. Love this product!" —Seabea2013
Get it from Amazon for $7.50+ (available in two sizes).
4. A curling wand with five different-sized, interchangeable barrels guaranteed to give you professional looking waves, curls, and volume all in your own home.
Promising review: "AMAZING curling wand! I’m a hairdresser and I’ve tried it on many different types of hair and it works perfect. The different attachment sizes makes this such a good deal for the price. Works better than others I’ve tried that have been 3x the price! Also leaves hair smooth and prevents frizz." —Genesis
Get it from Amazon for $36.99.
5. A bottle of Fanola No Yellow Shampoo to turn your brassy yellow blonde to a cool ice queen blonde in no time.
Get more info on this impressive shampoo in our deep dive into Fanola No Yellow Shampoo here.
Promising review: "I'm not one to leave reviews, but this product deserves it! Holy cow! I was going to go into the salon to brighten my hair up, but after discovering this product I cancelled my appointment. I'm totally in love! This shampoo is not drying at all and just after two washes, I achieved my desired results! I can't recommend it enough!" —Rachael
Get it from Amazon for $7.45+ (available in three sizes).
6. A creamy deep conditioner for anyone with 3a–4c hair. Thanks to its super-fruit oil formula, it provides a lightweight hold that leaves curls and coils feeling soft and moisturized.
Bread Beauty Supply is a Black woman-owned business that was founded by Maeva Heim in 2020.
Promising review: "LOVE this product! My hair is very dry and frizzy but this product made my hair so much more manageable and soft. I will definitely be getting more once I’m out!" —Nivedhitha
7. A silicone-free L’Oreal lamellar treatment ready to inject some serious shine into your hair. This banishes dullness in seconds, leaving you with a lustrous, bouncy 'do without weighing it down.
Apply this directly to wet hair avoiding the roots, massage it in for eight seconds, then rinse.
Promising review: "This is an amazing product for my curly hair that gets frizzy in the Florida heat. I have used tons of conditioners and other products that usually left my fine hair weighted down but had little effect on the frizz. I saw an immediate difference with the first use and have already ordered my second bottle so I don’t run out. Since my hair is chin-length and thin, I use less than the recommended amount. I’ve left it on overnight for deep conditioning and love the feel and texture." —Gail Stadnick
Get it from Amazon for $8.97.
8. InStyler Glossie Ceramic Styling Brush brushes your hair and straightens it at the SAME time. Oh, and it's really good at both!
Read why one BuzzFeeder loves this straightening brush (#2).
Promising review: "This brush really does the job and is a better alternative to flat irons (for me personally). It took me just 20 minutes to straighten my hair instead of one hour with a traditional straightener. I love the result!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $79.99.
9. Neutrogena clarifying shampoo scrubs your hair of any product buildup, keeping it lightweight and silky soft.
This shampoo is a must for everyone! Use it once a week to "reset" your scalp and get rid of the residue that's weighing down your hair. My hair has felt a lot healthier and softer since using this. Just remember not to use it too often because it does dry out your hair a little bit.
Promising review: "After moving to Colorado Springs I noticed that my hair felt dry as straw and look dull. The hard water build up on my tresses was causing me great stress! So, I ordered this clarifying shampoo. I love the way the shampoo smells and the way it leaves my hair feeling softer and cleaner. After one use my hair literally looked shinier and less dull." —Mentally in Paris
Get it from Amazon for $4.83.
10. And a tube of IGK's Mistress, a truly revolutionary hydrating hair balm that will have you saying "is that really MY hair?"
11. A bottle of hair oil capsules chock-full of vitamin B5 and keratin so you can properly hydrate your hair, even on the go.
They're cruelty-free and the capsules are biodegradable!
Promising review: "I have very straight hair and thin hair so I have to be very careful when using certain products, because they might make my hair very greasy. I wanted this particular product because of the amazing-sounding hair nutrients in it. I also think the packaging is super cute. At first, I was afraid that this would make my hair a greasy mess but let me tell you, I threw caution out the window after I used this for the first time. Miraculously, it did not make my hair weighed down or greasy. In fact, it was like it doubled in volume and shine, literally like magic. Plus the scent is absolutely heavenly. I have been using this for about once a week and my hair has been thicker, healthier, shinier, softer, and best of all it has been shedding less!" —Lauren
Get a bottle of 30 capsules from Amazon for $26.75.
12. An argan oil hair serum with vitamin E and aloe vera for shine, because your hair deserves proper nutrition too!
Promising review: "I found this product through a BuzzFeed article for those with frizzy hair and THIS PRODUCT DID NOT DISAPPOINT! I put this serum through the ringer; I got this to stand up to Bay Area fog AND the nasty, humid heat wave we got a couple weeks ago. No frizz, no extra curls. Nothing! On top of that, it made my hair super glossy. I'm very impressed. Heads up though, a little goes a long way. One pump is enough to cover my hair and I have medium length hair." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $11.99.
13. A super quick and super affordable hair mask you can add to your hair and let sit while you attend to your other shower-related chores.
This one is cool because it comes in small jars so you can try it out before investing in a larger one. There are no silicones, parabens, or artificial colorants.
Promising review: "First off I'm natural type 4b–4c and my hair LOVES this stuff. I use it as my cream in my LCO method. I also use it as a mask treatment using a conditioning cap. Leaves my hair soft, frizz-free, and tangle-free. Will definitely be purchasing again." —SHELBIE BOONE
Get it from Amazon for $2.97+ (available in six scents and two sizes).
14. A squeezy bag of Hairstory's New Wash, a wonderful elixir that's a godsend for people with fine hair. If you like your hair a lot more when it's been a few days since you washed it, this cleanser could be the key to glossy, soft hair every day.
This cowash is meant to be used instead of shampoo and conditioner (learn more about cowashes here). It's good for all hair types, even dyed hair. It's detergent-, sulfate-, paraben-, and synthetic fragrance-free, and not tested on animals. To apply, cover your hair and scalp in the good stuff, attend to other shower needs, and then rinse out very thoroughly (a scalp brush can help!).
Not to be dramatic, but I'm genuinely furious that I couldn't have this product growing up. This cleansing conditioner has completely changed my dry, frizzy hair for the better. I have fine, thin hair that always looks better the longer I go without washing it. I've tried other cowashes in the past, but they left my hair feeling limp and weighed down. This stuff gives me "washed my hair two days ago" shine right out of the shower. I always air dry my hair, and now it dries in loose ringlets that show my locks are happy and healthy. My hair has always been a source of stress for me (there's so little of it and it's so delicate) but for the first time ever I can truly say I love my hair. What a dream! While the $40 price tag for 8 ounces is pretty hefty, it's worth every cent in my book.
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who's hair gets greasy after a day or two, but it's perfect for those with ultra-dry hair and scalps.
Get it from Hairstory for $40 (available in classic, deep, and rich).
15. SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie – it defines curls and cuts down on frizz, so you can have soft, bouncy hair.
Promising review: "OMG... I can't believe the difference this made on my curls. I only used a tiny bit while my hair was dripping wet as I have type 2c hair. But I knew my hair was dry and thirsty. This did the trick. It's so soft and my curls are tighter than they have been in years." —Jenni
Get it from Amazon for $9.99.
16. A water defense prewash to protect your hair from being assaulted in the shower from water and shampoo. Consider this your hair's armor before going into battle.
This formula includes coconut oil, cysteine, keratin, avocado oil, aloe extract, panthenol, and niacin. It's designed to help protect your hair when it's most vulnerable: wet and getting beat up in the shower.
Promising review: "A pre-wash for your hair! WTH? Sounds weird but it has become necessary for my hair routine! I spray this throughout my hair before stepping foot in the shower, and put my hair in bun. After doing my shower thing and letting the prewash set in, I then wet my hair and shampoo. Using this prewash to help fight dehydration (which causes frizz) has helped my thirsty locks immensely! It also has a very nice, almost non existent, smell." —JenBun24
Get it from Sephora for $29.
17. A foaming leave-in treatment that's easier to distribute evenly, ensuring that every strand gets some love.
I love this stuff! It makes my hair feel super soft and healthy. The foaming pump works well and dispenses a lot with each pump. Since it's foaming, it lasts a long, long time.
Get it from Amazon for $16.
18. A deep conditioning treatment for textured hair that one might describe as "parched." This wonderful goop will give your thirsty mane the moisture it needs.
Promising review: "GLORIOUS!!!!!! I was recommended this item at Sephora as I have curly hair and wanted a product that will satisfy my hairs needs. Today with a few weeks of using it I can definitely say that my hair is healthy and thriving with this conditioner — and THE SMELL!!!! is amazing. Even after a whole day or errands or workout, the beautiful mint beach island smell is lingering in my hair and I love it ! The consistency of this product is thick and creamy, but it is very nice and refreshing."—Ely1993
Get it from Sephora for $36.
19. An absorbent microfiber towel that dries your hair quickly while being super gentle and non-damaging.
Promising review: "My medium-length, fine, and wavy hair clings to water. It takes ages for my hair to air dry on its own, and I don't like using blow dryers or other hot tools. This towel dries my hair quickly, and there's noticeably less frizz compared to a regular towel. I can also wrap the towel into a turban, which is remarkable because I have a fairly large head for a woman (no kidding, my graduation cap wouldn't fit on my head, and it just had to be pinned in place). Summary: This towel is at the top of my list for beauty purchases, no question." —Erin
Get it from Amazon for $20.99 (available in four colors).
See BuzzFeed's full review of this awesome towel.
20. A dandruff shampoo to relieve you of horrible itching and flaking. Welcome black clothing back into your wardrobe!
Promising review: "MIRACLE PRODUCT! If you have a flaky scalp from dandruff, BUY THIS. I was about to go to the dermatologist if this stuff didn’t work. Thank goodness I saved myself hundreds of dollars by giving this product a shot. I used it four of five times (over a month) and it cleared my scalp almost completely. One more use and my scalp will be 120% healed! This stuff blew my mind. Totally worth it." —Chris
Get it from Amazon for $14.15.
21. Pattern styling cream – it provides intense moisture and great hold for all kinds of hairstyle like twist outs, braid outs, Bantu knots, and more.
22. A diffuser hair dryer attachment perfect for people with curly or wavy hair.
The device fits on the nozzle of most hair dryers. It helps volumize and perserve the natural texture of your hair, so you can keep your curls bouncy and frizz-free.
Promising review: "FINALLY!! A diffuser that actually fits AND stays on! This design is genius! There are two buttons on the side that release a clasp which allows the diffuser to adjust to different size hair dryers. Thanks to my hair dryer and this diffuser my shoulder length (medium thickness) hair dries lickity-split with body galore!" —MICHELLE L KELLY
Get it from Amazon for $20.99.
23. A detangling brush that can take on any knot, no matter how matted and scary it looks.
Promising review: "Holy moly this brush has brought me so much relief and ENDED the power struggle of brushing my toddler's curly mop!! I always felt horrible for putting her through pain by combing out her tangles (with a comb and detangle spray). But I didn't want her hair turning into knots. I would either hold her down, with her crying, or I would chase her around the house. I would be super frustrated. Enter this brush. She saw the bright pink color and immediately started BRUSHING HER OWN HAIR. PEOPLE. SHE IS A YEAR-AND-A-HALF OLD. Then she went to each family member to brush OUR hair. When I tried brushing her hair with it, SHE LET ME. And the brush did not hurt her! The brushing process went so fast, no fighting!! Then I get a very kind, personalized follow up email from the company, checking in to see if I am satisfied with the product. How cool is that?! Yeah, I've already recommended to many friends this brush, and I plan on making a Facebook status update about it!" —Kat Negrete
Get it from Amazon for $9.88 (available in two colors).
24. A microwavable headband that gives you beachy curls in just 30 minutes. Simply wrap the warm headband around your head, tuck in your hair, and let sit. It's a low-heat option that delivers hot tool results.
25. A bottle of tasty blueberry biotin gummies you'll actually want to eat every day.
Seriously, these things are the highlight of my day. Biotin is said to promote hair and nail growth, as well as improve skin (but your results may vary). Each bottle comes with 100 gummies that provide 1,667% of the daily value of biotin.
Get it from Amazon for $10.99.
26. Bomba Curls Forbidden Oil – it uses pure coffee seed and castor oil to create a lightweight leave-in product that moisturizes the scalp and promotes hair growth.
Bomba Curls was created by Afro-Dominicana Lulu Corder, and makes products that aim to help curly hair grow and stay healthy. This oil is cruelty-free!
Promising review: "My hair instantly felt softer, and my curls were more defined. The oil also helped when slicking my hair into a bun." —Katherine A.
Get it from Bomba Curls for $22.
27. A bottle of the super popular Ghost Oil from Verb — a lightweight oil that you won't even notice is there, but still manages to nourish dry hair from roots to ends. 👻
Promising review: "This stuff has changed my hair game. I have excessively bleached hair. But this stuff is so great to my hair, it has returned it to a soft, healthy, silky feeling. My regime is wash, condition for a while or use a protein treatment, let it dry till it's damp then I run like two or three pumps through my hair (I have long thick hair) and work it into the bleached parts. I dry and then add a little more after. I also add more before curling my hair to protect it from heat damage. The amount you get for the price is astonishing, considering most hair oils are less product for like twice as much. Buy it: works great, smells great, feels great." —Eva
Get it from Amazon for $18.
28. A pack of bendy foam curling rods for a traditional way to get awesome curls without the pain of hard plastic rollers.
29. A purple brush meant for massaging your scalp to help evenly distribute shampoo and get it all out of your hair, so there'll be less itching and dandruff.
It has a tiny hook on the back so you can slip it over your fingers and get to work.
Promising review: "Only after a week in, my scalp and hair are noticeably better and continue to improve. I have a mild case of seborrheic dermatitis and would randomly get red welts with scaly/dandruff-like patches on my scalp especially around the hairline. I also had a pretty itchy scalp. It appears it may have been caused by not rinsing my hair properly and allowing bacteria to grow on my scalp. Enter the shampoo brush. The brush helps massage the scalp, distribute shampoo evenly, and most importantly, scrub away scales and left over shampoo." —Daniel
Get it from Amazon for $2.69.
30. A silk pillowcase so you'll never have to wake up with bedhead again.
With less friction from the material, your hair won't be rubbing and tangling against the pillowcase while you sleep. It also helps some people with acne and other skin problems.
Promising review: "I love this! I have really curly hair and this keeps my ringlets looking good for days. With a normal cotton pillowcase, it usually separates my curls so I had to wash it everyday." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $23.99 (available in four sizes and 28 colors).
31. A box of Invisibobble hair ties that will keep your hair in place without pulling or damaging it.
Promising review: "I’ll never wear any other ponytail holder from now on! These work so well! My hair doesn’t break and I’m constantly wearing it in a bun. I was surprised how well these worked and held my hair tightly in place. The best part is that after a day they shrink back to the size they originally started as." —Sarah
See our review of these hair ties (#1).
Get a pack of three from Amazon for $6.20+ (available in five colors).
32. A collagen coating hair protein treatment that takes your dry, tired hair and turns it into the silky soft locks you've always wanted.
Promising review: "My hair used to be really soft, and then I discovered hot tools and hair dye. While my hair looks good I really missed the soft texture. This works so well. There are no instructions on the box but I washed my hair with my usual shampoo, towel-dried it, worked about two quarter-sized dollops through my hair, let it sit for 20 minutes and then rinsed out. I went to bed with wet hair which usually results in my hair being kind of tangled and rough looking but I woke up and my hair was as soft and silky as it was before I started coloring it. I'm totally in love with this product, I have long fine hair but this doesn't leave it greasy or weigh it down. I'll definitely buy again." —Ellie
Get it from Amazon for $7.97.