1. The new pop group called "56 Flowers" is believed to be the biggest all-girl pop group in the world, according to China's state media Global Times.
2. FLW56 will draw a lot of comparisons to its Japanese counterpart AKB48 with a name that's as easy to remember but is more symbolic for Chinese listeners.
3. The 56 girls in the group were selected by China's Ministry of Culture out of the country's officially recognized 56 ethnic groups, each as "the most talented representative for one ethnic group."
The Han are the biggest ethnic group, making up over 90% of Chinese population. The other 55 groups include the Zhuang, Hui, Manchu, Uyghurs, Miao... You can have a glance at all of them at state newspaper People's Daily's English website.
4. FLW56 is a very, very new group — less than a month old.
5. The group is already looking to distinguish itself from other girl-pop groups in the region.
6. That makes comparisons with their counterparts in North Korea — pop-girl group Moranbong Band — are pretty easy.
7. The group is promoting itself as being upright, pure, young and thus appropriate for all ages.
8. The group also claims to be better-trained than most girl groups, with an all-round skill-set.
9. This is what one of their performances looks like. It's...really something.
10. We try to translate some of the lyrics to the song below:
I love Beijing Tiananmen,
We love Yellow River and Mount Tai,
We are the offsprings of dragon,
Our dream is called the dream of China.
Love this song the most,
56 ethnic groups,
Love the Five-Star Red Flag.
Forever we are the most,
The most colorful flowers.
11. You just can't stop staring at them running in line on stage.
12. It is even more difficult once they start twirling.
13. The group has performed in the world's most mysterious place.
14. FLW56 will have a TV reality show during the summer according to state news agency Xinhua, which we are super looking forward to.
15. But the Chinese Internet hasn't quite bought into the group yet.
16. And they might not actually be the largest girl-group!
17. But the girls of Flower 56 are very productive — a debut album, "1356," is already published.
18. And the group is aiming high, wanting to tour all across the region.
Beimeng Fu is a BuzzFeed News World Reporter covering China and is based in New York.
Contact Beimeng Fu at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.