1. We all remember Michelle Branch.
She was the pop-rock singer-songwriter princess who won our hearts in the early aughts. Her first two albums — 2001’s The Spirit Room and 2003’s Hotel Paper — were massively successful and made being a female singer-songwriter cool again. And in doing so, she inspired a new generation of female singers, like Taylor Swift, to voice their opinions and channel their angst into confessional songs that resonated deeply with people of any age.
2. (BTW, this is not Michelle Branch. It’s Vanessa Carlton, who was also a rock-pop princess in the early ’00s.
3. We don’t blame you if you’ve always mixed them up, because they do look alike and shared an affinity for fedora-inspired bucket hats.)
5. These days, the self-described “recovering former teen pop star” is active on Twitter:
8. And on Instagram, where she posts photos of her adorable daughter, Owen.
10. Offline, she’s still writing and making new music, that will hopefully be released soon!
11. In the meantime, we love her for the wealth of timeless music she’s already given us.
Such a baby in 2001!
12. It ALL still holds up.
14. And those opening guitar notes still give us chills.
15. 2001’s “All You Wanted” still perfectly captures what it’s like to reach out to someone you love who can’t seem to hear you.
16. And how you’d drop anything to help them out, if only they let you.
18. “Are You Happy Now” is not only one of the most satisfying and crowd-pleasing songs to sing at karaoke…
19. …it’s also a lasting breakup anthem, on par with Alanis Morissette’s “You Oughta Know.”
26. “Breathe” pointed out that, even when life is shitting all over you, all you need to do is take a deep breath.
27. And embrace the chaos.
28. And when you least expect it, if your heart is open, maybe you’ll find someone who really “gets” you.
- DNC Day 2: Bill Clinton took the crowd down memory lane, and then Hillary broke through a virtual glass ceiling 💥
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a church attack that killed a priest in northern France on Tuesday.
- 🍎📉: Apple's business is declining due to slowing iPhone sales, but the company is still making a ton of money.