Ed Sheeran’s on a takeover. The wild success of his debut album, +, brought him three Grammy nominations, the friendship of Taylor Swift, and the endless adoration of millions of screaming teenage girls around the world. Now the ginger singer-songwriter is readying to release his second album, x (pronounced “multiply”), out June 23.
The album signals a turn for Sheeran, who worked with producers like Pharrell and Rick Rubin to push himself outside of his comfort zone, as he explained in his MTV documentary, Nine Days and Nights of Ed Sheeran, which aired Wednesday night.
In honor of the album’s release, the singer is putting on a number of “Multiply Days,” during which he plays a series of performances in a city in a single day, each multiplying in size as he goes on. Having recently performed the stunt in the UK last month, Sheeran is now bringing the special day to NYC, where he will be perfroming a series of shows leading up to a big performance on Ellis Island this evening.
3. BuzzFeed will be tagging along on Ed’s big romp across New York City today, so follow along here and on Twitter as we liveblog the event!
You can also follow along with the hashtag “#multiplyED” on Twitter and Instagram to track his whereabout as he moves through the city.
6. 11:08 a.m.: Teenage girls are screaming at Ed that they’d love to offer him some sexual favors.
7. 11:15 a.m.: Fans meet Ed after the show.
One fan gave Ed a CD of his music to listen to and he happily accepted it, saying he listens to them during long drives on tour.
8. 11:17 a.m.: The fans swarm Ed as he moves out of VH1 to head to the next location – the Empire State Building.
It starts with just a few selfies with fans, but soon the Sheerios find him and all start running toward him as we try to get on the bus.
9. 11:30 a.m.: Car ride to the Empire State Building
Ed talked about the Kanye West and Taylor Swift “Imma let you finish” incident, saying, “I told Taylor, that’s how my parents heard of you.” Seems like Kanye’s little outburst may have gained Taylor some new fans that day.
10. 12:00 p.m.: It’s hella cloudy at the 86th floor conservatory.
11. Here he is performing a song from the new album called “Thinking Out Loud.”
12. The girls are super cute, holding up their phones, smiling, and giggling.
Ed also performs “Sing” and “Don’t” for 20 contest winners – all devoted and excited teen girl fans – and then a short interview.
14. 11:50 a.m.: Ed goes to the very top of the Empire State Building.
But it’s short-lived because he’s scared of heights.
15. 12:05 p.m.: Empire State staff gives Ed a gift!
A glass model of the Empire State.
16. 12:11 p.m.: Lots of people in the lobby start to realize he’s “Ed Sheeran” and ask for photos on our way out.
17. 12:52 p.m.: Lunch break! Chipotle goodness.
18. 1:02 p.m.: Ed has a Grumpy Cat phone case!
Checking tweets before going on Sirius XM.
19. Turns out a fan gave it to him!
21. Girls, boys, moms, dads – all screaming the “ohh ohh ohh ohh ohh” part of “Sing.”
25. 1:55 p.m.: Sirius XM interview
On how strange it is for girls to be crying when they see him: “I love Family Guy” but I don’t get the boxed set and cry at it,” he jokes.
27. 2:21 p.m.: Prepping for a TV interview.
One guy working on the segment introduces Ed to his 16-year-old son, who is working as a production assistant the summer. He says he’s a musician and plays a two-and-a-half hour set a week, with half of his set being Ed Sheeran songs.
“Remember how nervous you were for your first set?” asks Sheeran, before giving him some advice. “If you can write one song a day – it can be the most shit song – just get it out and it will start to get better,” he says, referencing Malcom Gladwell’s “10,000 hours of practice” theory.
28. Ed on how an Uber taxi driver led him to change his album to have all clean lyrics:
“He said, ‘I was gonna take my daughter to your show if it weren’t for the curse words.’ I said if I cleaned up all the words would you let your daughter listen to it? And he said, ‘Yeah man.’ I’ve gotten some fan backlash for it but I think it’s more important everyone can hear it.”
29. 2:30 p.m.: I am so glad I am not famous because these back-to-back interviews are intense.
At his Sirius event, 500 people arrived for his show and he played four songs, building up from his previous three at the Empire State, and his two on Morning Buzz. Hence: “Multiply Day.”
30. 3:44 p.m.: One thing is certain, Ed can’t miss out on the World Cup.
31. 5:57 p.m.: The weather is terrible, but Ed’s Ellis Island show is still happening.
32. 7:43 p.m.: When asked if they’ve ever played in the rain, Ed says “When haven’t we played in the rain?”
33. Follow #EdOnEllis to keep up with his performance there.
35. 7:55 p.m.: Ed says he doesn’t have a place to live in New York.
He travels most days of the year, living in hotels and friends’ houses, no more than a few days at each place. The couch-surfing life is for him!
36. 8:49 p.m.: Having a little photoshoot!
37. 9:15 p.m.: Ed Sheeran is about to take the stage on Ellis Island!
The screams are deafening.
- Hillary Clinton has picked Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine as her running mate. He was considered a favorite for the ticket.
- At least 10 people, including the gunman, are dead after a shooting at a mall in Munich, Germany.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing Saturday that killed at least 80 people in Afghanistan.