1. There were over 1,000 people there, giving it a noticeable air of “shitshow” and “clusterfuck.”
2. VIPs like Rihanna, Miguel, and Rashida Jones hammed it up for the cameras before the show got going.
(That’s Rihanna’s BFF, Melissa Forde, in case you were wondering who was lucky enough to have her sit on their lap.)
3. The show led off with an epic entrance that rivaled the excitement of being at a monster truck rally.
Fashion show or rap video? (Fashion show!!!)
The cars — which included Jaguars, Range Rovers, and Bentleys — were practically gleaming underneath the lights.
4. The models worked the huge perimeter of the warehouse in an authoritative fashion.
5. The pack of male models emerging near the end of the show was a total surprise.
6. Justin Bieber really enjoyed the musical selection, and could hardly contain himself.
Shawty Mane was out in full effect.
7. The collection comprised pieces you might even envision yourself wearing.
Neoprene suspenders? YES, PLEASE.
8. The nail game was on point. It’s all in the details, people.
9. At the end of the show, the models were left standing, so people felt free to strike up conversations with them, tickle them, engage in staring contests with them.
No one was going to win this staring contest.
10. It was also a good chance to just, you know, take photos of the outfits you liked.
11. Baz Luhrmann, Rashida Jones, and Jason Schwartzman cozied up to the OC designers, Humberto Leon and Carol Lim, after the show.
While waiting in the photo pit corral of madness before her turn with the designers, Jones told us that she’s a BuzzFeed fan (we love you, Rashida!), and though she likes cats, she’s an equal opportunist when it comes to cute videos.
12. Knicks player J.R. Smith (who was recently suspended for five games for violating the NBA’s anti-drug policy) was also in attendance.
Suspension won’t keep him from a good party!
14. Miguel confided in BuzzFeed that he’d be perfectly happy if the male kilt trend would disappear forever.
But what about when Kanye worked the kilt?
“You know, certain people can rock it, but I’m not one of those people.”
Luckily for him, OC’s Spring/Summer 2014 collection did not feature any kilts.
15. You knew your worth by the size of your gift bag.
Front row got the big gifts, second row got the little gifts.
16. The VIP attendees received cronuts in their gift bags.
Leigh Lezark questioning the Misshapen quality of her cronut.
I am forever grateful to Opening Ceremony. I have finally tried a cronut! A real one! Check your gift bags
17. Other guests could collect freebies at the after-party, like this Fleshlight.
It’s a male *ahem* masturbation toy.
18. Justin Bieber showed his genuine, sincere side.
After the show, he rushed up to Leon and Kim and gushed about how much he loved the show. He was alone and completely unencumbered by bodyguards or posse.
HE’S JUST A NICE GUY.
I met Justin Bieber tonight and he was actually awesome.
19. While some archetypal snooty fashion industry insiders were in attendance, they were muted by the freaks and the mall goths.
20. The bartenders were polite, hot, and efficient.
Seriously, when was the last time you were at a fashion party with an open bar where you waited less than a minute to get your drink? There were NO LINES, because the geniuses who planned this thing lined the space with 10 different spots to get your free Svedka.
21. There were even dance circles, just like in high school! They played all the jams.
22. Rihanna confirmed everyone’s suspicions that she is, indeed, just a normal-ass person.
My mom with @rihanna at @openingceremony. Ok. The caption was “Love her personality!!!! !”
She proved that the kissy face is far superior to the duck face.
That’s Phil Sullivan from America’s Next Top Model cycle 20, by the way.
…and shared some laughs and snuggles with her bestie.
She took photos of the pop-up shop for her Rihanna for River Island collection.
23. This hypnotic Instagram video gives you an idea of just how ACCESSIBLE everyone was.
Wanted a selfie with Justin Bieber? You got it! Wanted a selfie with every single model that walked the show? You got it!
25. Humberto Leon’s mother, Wendy, was the cutest proud Asian mother of all time.
“Oh my goodness, I’m so proud,” Leon told BuzzFeed about her son’s success. Leon says Humberto showed creative promise early in life: “He was always interested in cooking, sewing,” she said.
Leon said that she and her son both learn from each other. “Of course, the kid always learns from the mother, but right now I have a lot learn from him.”
Humberto, who showed up to make sure his mother wasn’t saying anything embarrassing (she wasn’t), added that he learned all his most important fashion lessons from her. “She was always about matching. She was always like, you can’t not match your shoes and your belt — a lot of rules. Clashing colors, she was all about clashing colors.”
“I have to tell you the truth — he’s the best,” Leon said. She was beaming and effusive and so clearly happy for him.
So basically they are the most adorable, wonderful mother-son pair ever.
26. Leon and Lim may have been shy while taking their final bow, but Leon’s mother is right: They have a lot to be proud of.
For the pair’s first fashion show, they managed to create both a beautiful collection and throw an insane party that raised the bar for all future fashion weeks to come.
- Four people were arrested after Trump supporters and protesters clashed during a "Make America Great Again" rally in California.
- The deadly Westminster attack that left four people dead Wednesday began and was over with in 82 seconds, police said Saturday.
- People in Belarus took to the streets and opposed a "social parasites" tax on people who have been unemployed for six months.
- Heads up, Harry Potter fans. You can now get Butterbeer ice cream at your grocery store 🍦✨