1. There's no such thing as a sugar rush. It's just a just a placebo.
2. The Great Wall of China is not the only manmade object you can see from space.
3. It's not actually harmful to pick up baby birds and return them to their nests, and it will not cause their mother to reject them.
4. Human blood is never blue in your body.
5. There are not different areas of the tongue dedicated to different tastes. Every taste can be detected on every part of the tongue.
6. Chameleons don't actually change their color to blend in with their surroundings.
7. The color orange is named after the fruit, not the other way around.
8. People think penguins mate for life. They don't.
9. The story about NASA developing a space pen while the Russians used a pencil isn't true. NASA also used pencils.
10. It's never actually stated that the forbidden fruit mentioned in the Bible is an apple. Some claim that it was more likely a fig or pomegranate.
11. Humans have more than five senses. The actual number ranges from 9 to over 20.
There's sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing, but humans can also sense a ton of other stuff, like balance, acceleration, pain, and temperature (among other things).
12. Napoleon Bonaparte was not short.
13. The Earth doesn't revolve around the Sun. It's actually revolving around the solar system's center of mass.
14. Not everyone in Columbus' time thought the world was flat.
15. It's not true that people only use 10% of their brains.
16. Vikings didn't actually have horns on their helmets.
17. Swimming within an hour of eating doesn't actually lead to cramps or drowning.
18. It doesn't take seven years to digest gum. You actually can't digest it at all.
19. "420" is not the LAPD code for marijuana use.
20. When John F. Kennedy's said, "Ich bin ein Berliner," nobody thought he was saying "I am a jelly doughnut."
21. Humans didn't evolve from apes. We share a common ancestor.
22. Mussolini didn't actually make the trains run on time.
23. George Washington didn't have wooden teeth.
24. Redheads are not going extinct. Neither are blondes.
25. There wasn't actually widespread panic after Orson Welles' 1938 radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds.
26. Bats are not blind.
27. Life expectancy wasn't actually in the thirties during the MiddIe Ages.
28. Houseflies live longer than 24 hours.
29. Glass doesn't actually flow like a liquid.
30. Your fingers don't wrinkle in water because the skin is absorbing water.
31. Sunflowers don't track the sun across the sky.
32. The Coriolis effect does not actually make water rotate in different directions while flushing toilets and draining bathtubs.
This post has been updated to meet our attribution standards.