2. Lucas Hembree and his service dog, Juno, share a moment.
When former law enforcement officer Chester Hembree was told that his son Lucas, who suffers from Sanfilippo syndrome, was a poor candidate for a service animal, Chester saved a Belgian Malinois pup from a Tennessee shelter and trained him to be a service dog by himself.
3. A survivor finds a photo album and cherished memories in the remains of his home after an earthquake in Sichuan, China.
5. Meghan Vogel carries Arden McMath across the finish line of a 3,200-meter race after McMath had collapsed on the track.
7. A dog mourns at the funeral service for his master, a fallen Navy SEAL.
Hawkeye, loyal pet to Petty Officer Jon T. Tumilson, fell to the ground in front of his owner’s casket in front of friends and family of the deceased, and remained there throughout the ceremony.
9. Arnulfo Castorena after winning his first gold medal in swimming for Mexico in the Paralympics.
10. An arthritic 19-year-old dog named Schoep is cradled by his owner, John, in the waters of Lake Superior, where the buoyancy eases the dog’s pain, allowing him to fall asleep comfortably in his owner’s arms.
Shortly after this photo started to spread online, people everywhere began donating money, allowing John to pay for the surgery and medication Shoep needed to live more comfortably. John used the remaining money to start a foundation to help other pets in pain.
12. Eight-year-old Christian Golczynski accepts the flag for his father, Marine Staff Sgt. Marc Golczynski, during a memorial service.
Marc Golczynski was shot on patrol during his second tour in Iraq just a few weeks before he was due to return home.
13. Homeless and impoverished children living in New Delhi, India, receive a free education from two volunteer teachers.
18. Helen Fisher kisses the hearse carrying the body of her 20-year-old cousin, Private Douglas Halliday, as it arrives for a funeral ceremony in Wootton Bassett, England.
21. Marine Sergeant Frank Praytor feeds a 2-week-old kitten named Miss Hap after her mother had been killed during a mortar attack in Korea.
23. A German soldier solemnly celebrates his 34th birthday on the plains of Afghanistan.
24. “Here he kneels, the one who doesn’t need to, for those who do need to.”
German Chancellor Willy Brandt, who was a part of the resistance against Hitler, lays down a wreath at the memorial of the Jewish ghetto. He adjusts the wreath, steps back, and falls to his knees in front of the memorial. Brandt later wrote in his memoirs: “At the abyss of German history and the weight of millions of murder victims, I did what humans do when words fail them.”
27. A terminally ill mother watches her daughter’s wedding over Skype.
30. Tanisha Blevin, 5, holds the hand of fellow Hurricane Katrina victim Nita LaGarde, 105, as they are evacuated from the convention center in New Orleans.
31. A North Korean man waves his hand as a South Korean relative weeps.
On Oct. 31, 2010, 436 South Koreans were allowed to spend three days in North Korea to meet their 97 North Korean relatives, whom they had been separated from since the 1950–53 war.
32. The very first wedding photo Wu Conghan and his wife Wu Songshi were able to take after getting married 88 years prior.
- Hillary Clinton's campaign was reportedly hacked as part of what appears to be a broad cyber attack on Democrats.
- Two brothers suspected of planning terror attacks have been arrested in Belgium, prosecutors say.
- Four people in Florida are likely the first to contract the Zika virus from mosquitos in the US, the state's governor says.