1. After losing a bet, George R.R. Martin had to add a character to A Dance with Dragons named Sir Patrek of King’s Mountain. The character’s heraldry looks like the Dallas Cowboys’ logo, and he was killed by giants within the story.
Martin had a standing bet with his friend Patrick St. Denis that if the Dallas Cowboys ever had a better season than the New York Giants, he’d make St. Denis into a character in one of his books and have him brutally ripped apart by giants.
9. George R.R. Martin has revealed all the major plotlines and the main ending of the story to the producers of the TV series. He claimed he was worried about the status of the show in the event of his death.
10. In the TV series, a character reels off a list of famous dragons, including “Vermithrax,” which is the dragon from the 1981 film Dragonslayer.
Dragonslayer also features characters named “Valerian” and “Tyrian,” both of which are names echoed in the Song of Ice and Fire books.
11. George R.R. Martin was inspired by the death of the Avengers character Wonder Man.
He said in an interview once, “I liked Wonder Man! You know why? Wonder Man dies in [his first] story. He’s a brand-new character, he’s introduced, and he dies. It was very heart wrenching. He was a tragic, doomed character. I guess I’ve responded to tragic doomed characters ever since.”
14. Game of Thrones actually takes place on Earth.
According to George R.R. Martin, “It’s Earth. But it’s not our Earth. If you wanted to do a science fiction approach, you could call it an alternate world, but that sounds too science fictional.”
16. The books were optioned for TV after the producers read the chapter detailing the “Red Wedding.”
Executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss claim they optioned the books after reading the “Red Wedding” section. George R.R. Martin, on the other hand, said that chapter was the most difficult for him, and it was the last thing he wrote for A Storm of Swords.
- Trump's home and golf club near Washington, DC have security cameras inside and out, monitored from New York, insiders say.
- Donald Trump alleged Alicia Machado of being in a sex tape, calling her "disgusting, but he's appeared in a softcore porn.
- Seven bee species have officially been listed as endangered in the US. Losing them could have a devastating effect on the ecosystem.