1. The new eastern span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge was completed over Labor Day weekend
2. Why did we need a new span of the bridge to begin with?
3. It’s been 20+ years since the existing span was damaged in the 1989 Lomo Prieta earthquake
4. The new bridge is the world’s longest self-anchoring suspension bridge
This design includes innovative “shear link” beams and “hinge-pipe” beams which act as shock absorbers, and will enable the bridge to withstand the largest plausible earthquake for the next 1,500 years.
5. 17,000 individual steel strands make up the suspension cables; each strand can dangle one Hummer
6. Before being built, the bridge was modeled in 4 dimensions
The bridge was modeled, simulated and analyzed in 3D and the phasing of the construction was modeled in the fourth dimension: time.
7. This will be the largest public works project in California
Costing approximately $6.4 billion and spanning 2.2 miles, the new eastern span will be making California history.
9. 42,000 hours of construction work in four minutes
To learn more about the Bay Bridge and the software used in its design and construction, visit the Autodesk Gallery.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The LAPD says it won't work with the feds on deportations — but it already does.
- UK intelligence chief says he's worried by rival countries' attempts to undermine democracy through propaganda, cyberattacks.
- The 36 victims in the Oakland warehouse fire were trapped with "no way out" in America's deadliest blaze in over a decade.
- People are mad at Jennifer Lawrence for telling a story about rubbing her butt on sacred Hawaiian rocks.