28 Things You *Shouldn't* Buy If You Want To Continue To Hate Your Wardrobe
Fabulousness isn't for everyone, ya know. 🤷♂️
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. High-waisted flare pants to add some...you guessed it...FLAIR to your wardrobe. (Admit it, the only thing you love more than soft and stretchy pants with thousands of positive reviews are corny clothing puns.)
Promising review: "I wore these pants on a first date, and they made my booty and thighs look amazing. I also wore these pants to my office job, and my coworkers went crazy over them. I literally emailed and texted/shared-item and copied links to these pants all day. They are so soft. You want to touch them all day, and they make great sleep pants." —Christina Tahey
Get them from Amazon for $18.99 (available in sizes S–XXL and 16 colors).
2. A ruffled off-the-shoulder dress that's three tiers of sheer gorgeousness. It looks so expensive that people simply won't believe you scored it on Amazon, but good things come to those who save.
Promising review: "OMG! Awesome!!!!! I plan to wear it on my shoulders, and the elastic seems strong enough to hold. I bought the white, and it’s light and airy — not see-through at all. I'm so thrilled. I will buy it in black ASAP!" —LB
Get it from Amazon for $34.98+ (available in sizes S–XL and 20 colors).
3. A fitted sports and yoga tank with a padded bra – it's as versatile as it is comfortable. You'll look just as good rocking this in the gym as you would wearing it to brunch with some high-waisted pants — but hopefully not on the same day.
Promising review: "I now live in these tops. They are so versatile and an amazing quality. The yellow top is more of a 'baby poop green,' but it’s actually still cute somehow. These are great to go from a bra to a workout top to a cute crop with an open jacket and not change all day!" —Marena VanOrden
Get it from Amazon for $18.99+ (available in sizes S—XXL and 19 colors)
4. A velvet midi dress that's sure to inspire dozens of hear eye emojis on Instagram, and maybe even a few ~enthusiastic~ DMs.
Promising review: "There are few words to describe this dress. It is absolutely gorgeous! Fit as expected and looks as pictured. The inside is silk, so it is super comfortable. It comes to a good length, I'm 5'7. It is stretchy so you could probably size down if you like a real fitted look, or size up to keep it loose, but I'd go with your true sizing. I would recommend this dress and many other Esprlia dresses for everyone. They really make some amazing dresses. Thank you! 😊" —Amanda Barnes
Get it from Amazon for $27.99+ (available in sizes 14–22 and in six styles).
5. A bodycon dress the post-pandemic world absolutely deserves to see you in. Whether you decide to dress it up with some heels or keep it casual with sneakers and a denim jacket, adding this to your cart would be a public good. Thank you in advance for your service.
Promising review: "This dress looks FANTASTIC! I love that it can be dressed up with accessories or looks good on its own for a casual night out, a day at the beach, etc. I ordered the sleeveless navy and short-sleeve steel blue, and they are both great."—Katelyn Grof
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in sizes S–XL and 24 colors).
6. High-waisted leggings that come in so many colors, you should honestly just factor one pair a month into your budget until you collect 'em all like some sort of a bootylicious Pokémon trainer. Considering the 37,000-plus 5-star reviews these leggings have earned thus far, you certainly won't be alone in your obsession.
Promising review: "I have continued to purchase these leggings over the past two years. They are my go-to leggings for everyday wear and even throughout my pregnancies. They are soft as butter, and I've never had problems with holes, and I still have an old pair that I wear regularly. As long as these are available on Amazon, I will always come back to buy them. I'll never wear any other leggings. And I love all the color options." —Amazon Customer
Get them from Amazon for $9.99+ (available in one size and plus size; capri or regular lengths; and a variety of colors).
7. Or a pair of high-waisted yoga pants that actually have pockets (*gasp*) so you can finally store your phone comfortably while working out. They come in so many colors, you'll want to buy a pair for every gym day of the week!
Promising review: "I bought these for the pockets and the high waist. The material is surprisingly squat-proof. Even with white undies, not a single bit was seen when I did a squat...and trust me, I was looking for these to fail. The material has a matte finish and is really soft (like cotton). I hate constantly pulling up yoga pants, so I was looking for high-waisted that stayed high, and these are it. They're a bit snug, but I never have to pull them up. I am a women's 14, and the XL fit great." —megan
Get it from Amazon for $17.95 (available in sizes XS–3X and 18 colors).
8. A chic tie-bow blouse – when paired with the right sense of style, it could make you look like the fashion blogger version of Wednesday Addams.
Promising review: "I’m so pleased with the quality and make of them! They’re so worth it! Nice stretchy material, nice long sleeves, just made beautifully! It can be worn with jeans or dressed up with black dress pants or a skirt! I love that the waist of the shirt is structured as well, so I can tuck it into my high-waisted jeans and skirts! Definitely can be worn in many different ways! Love love love this top." —Rebecca Kennedy
Get it from Amazon for $20.99+ (available in sizes S–2XL and nine colors).
9. A V-neck tee with intentionally loose sleeves so heavy sweaters can enjoy some fun in the sun without having to worry about pit stains.
Promising review: "This shirt is unbelievably comfortable! The fabric is wonderful and makes for a breathable shirt that can be dressed up or dressed down. The sleeves are longer than a typical V-neck, which makes it stand out in comparison to similar shirts." —Ashley Schmaltz
Get it from Amazon for $6.99+ (available in sizes XS–XXL and in 47 colors).
10. High-waisted shorts with an elastic waist so both you and your brunch belly have room to breathe after filling up on mimosas and eggs Benedict.
Promising review: "I was a bit skeptical when I bought a pair of these because I'm just always wary when buying clothes online. But now they are my new favorite shorts!! The waist is elastic, so it's comfortable to wear and easy to slip on and off, plus it defines my waist way better than any other high-waisted shorts I've worn." —Savalla
Get them from Amazon for $19.99+ (available in sizes XS–XL and in five colors).
11. A scoop collar T-shirt you can use to dress up whenever you don't *really* feel like dressing up. There's nothing like a simple yet presentable staple to pull together a fierce outfit.
12. A size-inclusive bike jumpsuit able to provide ample support for anybody. Running from XXS–6XL, this suit truly embraces the phrase ANY. BODY.
Promising review: "Granted I'm the type of person who would salivate over owning a bike jumpsuit, but after having it for almost a year, I feel confident that this is a piece that could be beloved for almost anyone. It's made of Girlfriend Collective's signature compressive fabric, which hugs your body but doesn't feel suffocating or restrictive. But the most shocking feature is that it has a built-in bra that...actually works?! I'm a 34DD, and this jumpsuit absolutely passes the "bounce test," and keeps my boobs in place really well when jumping and running. (It's not quite as supportive as my favorite Girlfriend Collective sports bra, the Dylan, but that thing goes above and beyond in terms of keeping you in place.) If you're tired of leggings and are looking for something new and fun to add to your collection of activewear that you can *actually* use, I highly recommend this!"—Rachel Dunkel
Get it from Girlfriend Collective for $78.
13. A monochromatic loungewear set that's low-key in style enough these days to wear outside of the house. You'll feel like a model in a Kanye West fashion show minus the funny-looking shoes.
Promising review: "It's a thick, cozy waffle material that you will want to lounge in all day and night! I'm a WFH mama, so I don't really get dressed up every day, and this is such a great alternative because I still feel cute but am also comfortable! Great set all around. Highly recommend!" —Danielle Comstock
Get it from Amazon for $19.99+ (available in sizes S–2XL and 14 colors).
14. A button-down tank top with enough length for you to tie a cute little knot at the bottom — meaning there's no way for you to ~KNOT~ look fabulous in this thing.
Promising review: "Absolutely love this top! I got a ton of compliments, and it fit perfectly, and the quality was better than I expected. No one could believe I bought this top on Amazon! It is plenty long enough, and I loved the look of tucking it in in the front. The straps are adjustable also."—Ashley9217
Get it from Amazon for $15.29+ (available in sizes S–2XL and 10 colors).
15. A plus-size pencil dress to make you feel like Joan Holloway from Mad Men. Since we're inching towards normalcy each day, you might as well return to the office in style!
16. A cami jumper you can wear while showing some skin when it's warm out, or with a long-sleeved shirt underneath during the early days of pumpkin spice latte season.
Promising review: "I have been living in this jumpsuit! Just went to order more and realized they’re not available in my size right now. It fits oversized, but that’s how I was expecting it to fit. I could easily wear this every day. I’ve been washing on cold and hang-drying, and it’s holding up well." —Lauren
Get it from Amazon for $32.99+ (available in sizes S–XL and in 15 styles).
17. A ruffled printed tunic that's so soft and comfy, you'll want to live in it. No, not like just wear it every day — I mean you'll literally want to change your official address to "18 Super-Soft and Comfy Ruffle Printed Tunic Lane."
18. A pleated skater skirt – it screams, "I'm fun, but also super stylish, but not in like an overwhelmingly edgy way, but like still cool — whatever, just watch me twirl in this very flowy skirt."
Promising review: "I saw this skirt on a few different bloggers. I love the fit — it’s the perfect length. I can wear it now in the summer with a tank, and then throw a denim jacket in over it in early fall. It’s a great buy!" —M. Kunkle
Get it from Amazon for $13.99+ (available in sizes S–2XL and 28 colors).
19. An ultra-popular swing dress that's a bestseller for a bunch of different style reasons (I mean, just look at it!) but will find a special place in your heart for its functionality. Just one word, my friend — POCKETS!
Promising review: "This dress had me at pockets! What a great dress, especially for work! It has pockets on both sides, a work-appropriate hemline, and the material is the kind where you can sit for hours, but it'll never show a wrinkle! I'm 5'6" and 150 pounds, and the medium fits great. With wedges, it's the perfect outfit for work: comfy and practical, yet classy." —AprilAries
20. An open-back dress to wear on your next vacation or sunny afternoon trip to the park — I don't know, something about a backless dress just makes you want to frolic, amirite?
Promising review: "I have been wanting this same dress from Free People, but it was $118. I was leery about this considering it was much cheaper in cost, but it is PERFECT! I'm 5'6", 116 pounds, and it fit absolutely perfectly. Great length too. Keep in mind you can't wear a bra with it and if you are larger-busted (I'm small, an A cup), then it may fit totally different. It's thin and lightweight but with skin-colored undies; I had no problem with lines or visibility. I'm considering buying it in another color. 😍" —Bullitt02797
Get it from Amazon for $31.99+ (available in sizes S–XL and 24 colors).
21. Or a slightly more conservative V-neck midi dress that's still good for frolicking despite having a back and sleeves. More fabric doesn't mean less fun!
Promising review: "I searched out this dress after researching the wardrobe of Judy Hale on the Netflix show Dead to Me. I love her modern boho style. This was worn in one of the first episodes. After reading the other reviews about size, I ordered the XL. I am typically a US size 8 and between a M and L in most big brand sizes. The XL fit exactly how I wanted. I paired mine with a brown suede belt. The slit falls a little too high for me, so I will probably sew it about 1 inch below the buttons. In my opinion, the buttons are a bit cheap, but not too bad. I believe this fabric to be 100% rayon challis (approx 140 gm/m2). It's soft and flowy but not too sheer with this print." —bFranj
Get it from Amazon for $23.99+ (available in sizes S–XXL and seven patterns).
22. A seamless crop top and biker short set you'll take so many selfies in you might as well create a whole separate Instagram account specifically for this outfit.
Promising review: "This set is everything! I'm obsessed with the material and how it fits. It looks just like the photos and the color is the same as well. Even my friends were wondering where I got it from, they were shocked to hear Amazon!" —Shannon Peffley
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in sizes S–L and in seven colors).
23. A long-sleeved sweatshirt to keep you warm now that you've returned to — or are about to return to — the overly air conditioned frozen tundra that is your corporate workspace.
24. A floral cocktail party dress — returning back to the office means returning back to "optional" but sorta kinda mandatory after work happy hours. Be prepared!
Promising review: "I adore this dress! The fit is absolutely gorgeous and runs as expected! It's so nice to have a dress that fits, isn't too tight, has sleeves, and a higher front! The color is beautiful too! Literally every time I wear this dress, I get compliments! It's a little long on me (I'm 5'2", and it hits a little lower than mid-calf), but I just pair it with pointy pumps, and it's fine. If they had this dress in more patterns, I would buy every one of them! Love love love!" —Chelsea
Get it from Amazon $28.99+ (available in sizes 14–24 and in eight styles).
25. A pair of super absorbent Thinx boyshorts to make the most miserable time of the month slightly less miserable.
Promising review: "I can't tell you how much I would've loved having these as a kid. Carrying around bulky pads and wondering whether your tampon has been in too long, just ain't it. I wear my boyshorts with a cup, just for extra insurance on my heavier days. It's a winning combination. Just wash them in cold water (no softener) and lay them flat to dry." —Christine Forbes
Get it from Thinx for $39.
26. A denim jacket perfect for those hot and cold September days that are more indecisive than your last ex-boyfriend.
Promising review: "I adore this jacket! It fits perfectly. I like wearing the sleeves rolled up, but when I wear them down they are more than long enough and I have really long arms. This can be worn with dresses, jeans, whatever! It's the perfect color."—Stacy
Get it from Amazon for $28.98+ (available in sizes XS–XL and 10 colors).
27. A ribbed crop top that isn't *too* cropped and comes with a liner so it isn't excessively revealing. And it comes in a whopping 37 (!!!) colors.
Promising review: "LOVE THIS CROP! When I first tried it on I worried it was too cropped, but once I tried it on with high-waisted pants and shorts I was obsessed!! There is a liner too so the top isn’t see-through! Definitely a great buy!!" —Heather Young
Get it from Amazon for $9.81+ (available in sizes XS–XL and 37 colors).
28. A hand-embroidered Queenin' T-shirt that, if we're being honest, was practically made in your image. Oh, look. You dropped something... 👑
BTW, it's from a small business based in Brooklyn, New York.
Promising review: "I adore this shop. The quality of your work is *chef’s kiss*. The world is in a bizarre state right now but your art has brought an abundance of love and light into my life. Thank you so much. I can’t wait to buy more in the future!!!!" —Emma Powers