29 Products To Improve Your Living Room For Under $50
You don't need to punish your pockets in order to upgrade your space.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. An Erase-A-Hole putty if you and your roommates have turned your living room walls into Swiss cheese, but would still like a chance at getting all of your security deposit back. You'll definitely keep this stashed away somewhere in every new apartment you move into.
Promising review: "I love this stuff! It’s super easy to use and it flawlessly anything from nail holes to larger drywall anchor holes. Bonus that my walls are white and I can even get away with not repainting if I do a clean job! I hope they never stop making this stuff." —bookworm
Get it from Amazon for $10.95.
2. A leather cleaner that'll bring your old, worn-out couch back to life and have it looking like it's fresh off the showroom floor.
Just mix this concentrate with water, put it in a spray bottle, spray, and wipe off.
Promising review: "My 15-year-old leather sectional hadn't been cleaned or conditioned in three to four years because I couldn't find anything that worked well without causing it to look blotchy. The color was also fading and I thought it was a goner. After some elbow grease, the sectional looks great! It's now back to its original color without being blotchy. More importantly, the suppleness has returned. I can actually say that it looks as good as the day we bought it." —jellybean55
Get it from Amazon for $18.95.
3. A carpet spot remover that doesn't require any rinsing or vacuuming. This is particularly helpful for people with messy children (so, children in general pretty much). Just spray it directly on the stain and it'll disappear before playtime even ends.
Promising review: "I had terrible rust and oil stains all over the seats of my car. I tried other cleaners to get them out, but they actually made the stains darker. I took it to the dealership to see if they could get it out and they flat out told me no, so I gave up and lived with it for almost five years. Then I tried this after it was recommended by a friend. I sprayed it on and literally watched the stain run right off my seat. It was amazing! I thought I was going to have to pay hundreds of dollars to replace the seats in my car because nothing else would work. This stuff really is awesome!" —Brittany
Get it on Amazon for $11.69.
4. A floating shelf – they'll look like minimalistic magic on your walls. It'll be like you hired David Blaine as your interior decorator.
Promising review: "These are so much fun! We ordered the small size, which fits standard hardback books (approximately five to seven hardbacks in my experience). They're a great way to add some extra storage to our very small home, and we've placed them in our hallway so people ask us about them all the time. I'd highly recommend!" —LaBuenaVidaMere
6. A desktop stand riser for transforming that sad little setup in the corner of your living room into a home office worthy of an overworked student or underpaid remote employee. This thing could help improve your posture with its elevation, and it also comes with storage compartments for all of your work accessories so things can be out of sight and out of mind once you clock out for the weekend.
Promising review: "After nine years of making do with very sad-looking black plastic desk accessories that had been lying around the office, I decided to upgrade to some nicer organizational items. This monitor stand, in particular, was a huge hit with me and then everyone else wanted one. It's well-constructed and thoughtfully designed. I like how I can slide my keyboard out of the way and put my coffee up on the stand to clear my work area when needed. The price was reasonable, particularly considering black plastic ones that aren't half as nice or useful go for about 25 bucks." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $39.99.
7. A power strip with an ultra thin outlet cover that's so brilliant, whoever thought of it deserves a lifetime achievement award. Instead of forcing you to choose between a piece of furniture and that big bulky plug on the end of your old power strip, this one comes with a plug that's designed with the exact same dimensions as most sockets, so you can basically lean your end table or media console right up against the wall without having anything awkwardly wedged in between.
Promising review: "The design of this is great. I always hated putting plugs behind furniture and either not using the plug, or the furniture being inches away from the wall. This is the perfect solution. I have a few of these now behind couches and dressers in the house and they are great. This is more expensive than some other flat extension cords but I think the look and quality of these is worth it." —Adam C.
Get it from Amazon for $24.95.
8. A cable cord-concealing box because you shouldn't have to have a constant visual reminder of how much technology has overtaken your life. This thing provides a quick and easy solution for your cords that isn't terribly dissimilar to how most people handle other problems — just toss them in a box and forget they're there.
Promising review: "We have a work computer at home and there are so many wires, with the help of a couple cable ties I couldn't have asked for anything better. I like that there are three different openings so you aren't restricted to just the two side openings that I see a lot on other boxes. It easily snaps into place in the back." —Michelle
Get it from Amazon for $23.99+ (available in two sizes and colors).
9. A geometric bookend you can decorate with things like old photos or ticket stubs. You can even throw a dried flower on there to brighten up the display.
10. A mini bottle of touch-up paint that'll cover up small, cosmetic imperfections that may be visible on your walls or furniture (such as chips, scratches, stains, etc.).
Promising review: "Thank god this exists! Over the years, my sloppy 'hair-dying job at home' has left several spots on my white bathroom walls. This is exactly what I was looking for. If you're unsure which color to use (no need to be an exact match for this type of touch-up), you can contact the company and they'll send you a color chart for free. This is like a whiteout for the imperfections. I didn't want to have to paint the entire bathroom for some small spots, but those spots were bothering me for certain. Now I don't even know where those spots are anymore, and the walls look normal. This is such a lifesaver." —mrsj
Get it from Amazon for $13.95 (available in nine shades).
11. Fake wood contact paper if you'd rather transform nonwood surfaces (like on your end table or coffee table) instead of taking care of furniture made out of the real thing.
Promising review: "This stuff is awesome!! Bought some to cover up sun spots on a few windows before we sold our house, and couldn't believe how good it looked and how easily it installed. I could hardly tell the difference from the original wood! Recommend to anyone looking for a cheap fix!" —Trent
Get it from Amazon for $12.74+ (available in seven colors and five sizes).
12. A stylish yet subtle set of matte black candle holders that are discreet enough to suit a contemporary aesthetic despite featuring beautifully crafted mid-century pillars.
They come in sets of three, and are able to fit both standard and LED flameless candles up to 4 inches in diameter. They also come with anti-scratch pads attached at the bottom.
Get it from Amazon for $34.99.
13. A tabletop fireplace for people who'd like to convert their tiny apartments into the sort of lovely suburban houses that'd actually come with traditional fireplaces.
Promising review: "Bought this as an anniversary present for my boyfriend and he (we) absolutely love it! The care and detail that went into this is amazing! The wood and glass are high quality and well-packaged and they even included s’mores forks in the kit! So great! Will definitely be purchasing more for gifts in the future!! Keep up the great work!" —April Rojas
14. A surprisingly affordable area rug – a lifesaver for people who are new to this whole adulting thing: why did no one tell us growing up how expensive rugs were going to be???
Promising review: "It's hard to find a good rug at a good price, but I've been very happy with how this rug looks and performs. I can't get enough color in my home, so having this large *pop* really makes any room — yes, I have moved this from room to room, because in my opinion, every space should have a multicolored floral rug, and I can't decide which one this rug should live in!" —Rachel Dunkel, BuzzFeed Staff
Get it from Boutique Rugs for $34.12+ (available in seven sizes).
15. A sunburst wall mirror to hang over your couch or near an armchair so you can catch a quick glimpse of a superstar every time you plop yourself down for a bit of relaxation.
16. Or a hanging macrame wall mirror that'll bring a more quaint, borderline bohemian sort of vibe to your living room.
17. A Nordic donut vase that'd look fabulous on your dresser or windowsill. For such a minimalistic piece, it'd give your room a ~hole~ new vibe.
18. And a bundle of some very delicate-looking faux jasmine flowers to place in your fancy new vase. It'll class the place up a bit without requiring you to know anything about caring for a plant.
Promising review: "I have never used artificial flowers but these changed my mind — they are blow-you-away gorgeous! Every client comments on these. I combined these with some other silk flowers from Amazon and it's really stunning." —Lisa B
Get a 10-piece bundle from Amazon for $19.99+ (available in three colors).
19. A real deal grownup houseplant if you feel you actually are responsible enough to keep something this beautiful alive. It'll brighten your space and perhaps help single people convince future mates they at the very least know a thing or two about feeding living beings semi-regularly.
Costa Farms is a Miami, Florida-based horticultural grower.
Promising review: "Awesome. Really, that's all I can say. Who would think you could buy a full-size palm for home or office from Amazon?! Well, I decided to try it and wow! The plant arrived in a tall, narrow box. The soil in the planter was well secured with packing paper and tape, and removing it was easy. I transplanted it into a larger pot, watered it, and it's absolutely beautiful, gracing the corner of my office and giving me plenty of healthy air. Packing included a care guide with more information online. Nice touch. Stands about 3' tall x 2.5' wide once the fronds relaxed a bit." —4StarDad
Get it from Amazon for $39.99+ (available in Majesty, Neathebella, and Cat varieties and in seven planter styles).
20. A pack of 24 mandala stencils you can use to personalize pretty much anything you can think of (wall decor, dressers, tabletops, etc.) and turn into a giant art project.
21. "Leaded-glass" film that'll add privacy and a touch of sophistication to your windows and glass doors. It'll impress your snobby neighbors and foil your nosy ones.
Promising review: "This film was just what I needed. It provides enough privacy without blocking light. I didn’t have any problems with it not sticking to the window. You just have to make sure the windows are very clean and remember to peel off the backing and spray lots of water before sticking it on the glass!!! I used an old credit card as a squeegee to get rid of the air bubbles. The application was very easy. I highly recommend this product!!!" —Selenable
Get it from Amazon for $9.99+ (available in five sizes).
22. Luxurious velvet curtains if you've grown tired of the basic blinds that came with your apartment. Not only do these insulate heat, but they're also very effective at darkening rooms. Ya know, for all you vampires out there.
Promising review: "Purchased these for my studio, which is in an old mill. I wanted them for their insulating properties more than to block out the light because my studio loses a lot of heat at night due to its enormous windows. The curtains/drapes work great for both — I am especially pleased with how well they help keep the space from losing heat! Before having the curtains the space would lose about 8 degrees in temperature overnight (which in the winter is a significant amount, especially in the northeast). Now, with the curtains, the space no longer loses heat overnight! It is now so nice to go into my studio in the morning and find it still toasty warm!" —Noname
Get them from Amazon for $33.99+ a panel (available in four sizes and six colors).
23. A very artsy wire sculpture that won't clash with your room's aesthetic and...also looks a little vintage? Or maybe I've just seen too many '90s movies and TV shows centering characters with outrageously stylish apartments. They never do explain how they can afford all that cool stuff *and* New York City rent.
24. A set of lush velvet pillow covers you'll love so much you'll buy them in way too many colors — which will force you to buy more pillows, which will force you to buy more covers. The cycle continues on until the armrests are the only visible parts of your couch.
Promising review: "This is the second set of these I've purchased (bought two different colors to change out when one set is in the laundry), and I completely love them. They are so soft, easy to put the pillows into, and they come out of the laundry looking brand-new. Get a couple of different colors and switch out for holidays, or when desiring a quick easy decor change. I highly recommend them." —Melanie Mastin
Get a pack of two from Amazon for $12.99+ (available in nine sizes and in 33 colors).
25. Customizable books sets that'll help you color coordinate all those novels you bought on impulse and have neglected to start reading. With a more attractive book shelf, you'll at least have some nice decor to show for your your strange commitment to procrastination.
Covogoods is a Utah-based shop on Amazon Handmade specializing in unique and colorful book designs for any space.
Promising review: "If you've been looking for decorative books, then look no more — you've found your shop! Colors are true to photos and I love how they were real books! Not those hollow fake ones you see. This made decorating very easy, fast shipping, and quality was superb. Will be ordering more from here in the future!" —JH2
26. A squeegee broom that you absolutely need in your life if you share a space with either a shedding pet, and crumb-dropping child, or a person with long hair.
My BuzzFeed Shopping colleague (Emma Lord) loves this genius tool! Here's a bit of what she has to say about it: "An embarrassing confession: my hair gets so ingrained in the carpet that a vacuum truly does nothing for it. In fact, to make matters worse, weird particles get stuck in the hair on the floor, which is stuck to the carpet, so I often was just unrooting clumps of hair from the floor with my hands (sorry for the visual). I bought this broom and it immediately started pulling it up GOBS of hair. My carpet like, genuinely changed color (turns out the pink was supposed to be much pinker, whoops). Anyway, do with that semi-horrifying information what you will."
Get it from Amazon for $12.44.
27. A pet-hair removing brush to clean your couch, carpet, and really anything else that acts as a fur magnet whenever your four-legged friend sheds enough for you to make an entire collection of winter coats out of the strands they leave behind.
Promising review: "I bought this product after realizing the Scotch Brite fur removing sheets have been discontinued. We have three cats and we regularly used the sheets to remove embedded fur from our sofa and chairs. I was skeptical about this product when I bought it and was AMAZED by how well this worked. The best part to me is that it also helps the environment because there are no sheets to be thrown away. Highly recommend!!!!!" —jean p godoy
Get it from Amazon for $24.95.
28. A stain remover for you to use the next time a splash of red wine misses your mouth completely and lands on your couch.
Promising review: "Lo and behold! I completely cleaned the window sills, the window shades, the baseboards, the walls and the carpeting! You cannot even tell it happened. No stains or color change to the carpet or the walls or the white painted surfaces. Before you try or use anything, buy this. It cannot be beat! I was afraid I might have to hire a professional to clean the carpet and that I might have to completely repaint walls, but no." —Sharon Hamilton
Get it from Amazon for $10.95 (available in packs of 1-5).
29. A gallery wall kit that comes with seven frames, a hanging template, hardware, and black-and-white prints that you can use until you replace them with photos of your own. One of the most revelatory moments in adulthood comes as you decide to transfer your most cherished memories from your phone to the walls of your very own home. Don't take it for granted!
Promising review: "I love this set! It was delivered quickly, all of the frames and glass came in perfect condition. My favorite part of the entire thing was the guide it came with. After putting the pictures in the frames, I hung the guide, made sure it was level, and drilled the holes right into the paper. Everything came out level, the frames and pictures look great. Definitely happy with this purchase." —Cristina C Sanchez
Get it from Amazon for $49.99+ (available in three finishes).